Medical Assistant I
The Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine section within the Department of Medicine seeking a Medical Assistant I with clinical and administrative responsibilities supporting the clinical operations. Administrative duties include but are not limited to desktop/phone triage, Live Answer rotation (Department's internal call center), patient scheduling, and other administrative tasks necessary to facilitate patient care. Clinical duties include but are not limited to patient rooming (virtual and face to face) and vitals and COVID-19 testing site rotation. The position requires a person able to work well within a team environment and with a willingness to assist a team member when needed.
The Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine section within the Department of Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine is focused on patient care including office visits, PFTs, and outpatient procedures.
This position is located at the McNair Campus in the Texas Medical Center.
- Performs routine patient care responsibilities such as taking vital signs, venipuncture (blood draws), collect specimens, EKGs/ECGs, and laboratory Point of Care Testing.
- Collects patient history, performs medication reconciliation and enters information in EPIC.
- Notes the primary complaint/reason for patient's visit.
- Sets up instruments and equipment for physician.
- Assists with procedures as needed.
- Administers medication under direction of a supervising physician.
- Instructs patients on general care and medicine procedures.
- Maintains patient and service rooms in a neat and orderly condition.
- Schedules patient tests, procedures, and appointments.
- Conducts patient outreach phone calls and post visit follow-ups.
- Responds to routine patient phone calls and MyChart messages and route to RN, ACP or MD as needed.
- Performs clerical/administrative responsibilities such as filing and/or scanning patient medical records, obtain lab/x-ray reports, hospital notes, and referral information.
- Takes inventory of clinic supplies and order supplies as needed.
- Sorts and distributes clinic mail and medical records to the appropriate clinic personnel.
- High school diploma or GED and completion of an approved Medical Assistant Training program through an accredited institution.
- No experience required.
- Current certification as a Medical Assistant through an accredited professional organization (AAMA, AMT, ARMA, NCCT, NAHP, NHA, NAHP, AMCA, or NRMA). New employees who are not currently certified, must obtain certification within six months of employment.
- The successful candidate will have exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, be regarded as a team player, have strong and proven organizational skills, and have a personal drive to be their best.
- Experience working with Epic EHR preferred.
- Previous work experience in an academic medicine environment is a bonus.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.