Open Rank Collegiate Faculty
The Bradley Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at Virginia Tech seeks applications for a full-time, academic year, non-tenure-track Collegiate Faculty who will be a member of the ECE Masters of Engineering (MEng) and MS/PhD programs. Over the last seven years, the ECE department has grown in size achieving top academic rankings (the ECE department was ranked 12 globally and 9 nationally according to Shanghai Rankings ). The advertised position will be based in the Greater Washington, DC metro area. The program and the ECE Department are part of the new VT Innovation Campus in Alexandria Virginia.
This Collegiate Faculty position will be an open-rank search at the assistant, associate, or full professor level with a 3, 5, or 7-year renewable contract, respectively. Collegiate Faculty have the following responsibilities: mentor graduate students, teach courses, support graduate research, and contribute to the overall development and assessment of academic programs ( https://faculty.vt.edu/faculty-handbook/chapter05.html.html#5.0). Collegiate Faculty are expected to participate in department, college, and university service, and committee work, and other duties as assigned. Collegiate professor faculty members may conduct research on the scholarship of teaching and learning related to their field and/or on disciplinary topics in their field and present their findings in professional venues, but there are no expectations for an extensive research program as is typical of tenure-track faculty appointments. Applicants with expertise in the areas of Machine Learning, Quantum Engineering, 5G hardware including RF ICs, Data Science, and Cybersecurity are of particular interest, but all technical areas will be considered. Individuals with relevant industry experience are encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will be a member of a group of faculty responsible for teaching and advising students enrolled in the MEng program and the VT ECE MS/PhD graduate program. Interaction with industry, national laboratories, and/or government agencies is also required.
- A PhD in electrical or computer engineering, computer science, or a closely related field and previous teaching experience at the graduate level in ECE or a related field.
- A strong record of academic accomplishments and a proven ability to work collaboratively.
- Experience with and commitment to interdisciplinary research and instruction and a willingness to cross disciplinary boundaries to address complex technical and societal challenges.
- Effective communication skills.
- Interaction with industry, national laboratories, and/or government agencies is also required.
- Previous academic experience teaching or relevant industry experience in one of the technical areas mentioned above.
- Willingness and ability to work in a high-tech environment, such as online instruction and distance learning.
- Experience working in academia and collaborating with industry.
- Experience working with industry to facilitate student project funding.
Interest or experience working effectively with a diverse student population.
Commensurate with Experience
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Kathy Atkins at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: September 29, 2020
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.