Technical Assistant - Hospitality
Position Title: Technical Assistant - Hospitality
An Associate’s degree in the Culinary Arts / Hospitality Management Industry required. Bachelor’s degree preferred. A valid driver’s license and ServSafe Certification at the time of and through duration of the appointment is required. Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds, required. Food-service/general purchasing experience and familiarization with general culinary terms and procedures required. Must have effective communication, customer service, and Microsoft Office suite proficiency. Must have the ability to work independently and in a team setting.
Mohawk Valley Community College provides accessible, high-quality educational opportunities to meet the diverse needs of our students. We are the community’s college, committed to student success through partnerships, transfer and career pathways, and personal enrichment.
The Technical Assistant for Hospitality position offers the opportunity to help students achieve success by helping them directly. The successful candidate will be helping support critical learning and student support services for the next generation of aspiring chefs, bakers, and hospitality experts. It offers a fast-paced work environment that brings new challenges regularly. This position is responsible for the organization and operation of the hospitality and culinary classroom labs. The successful candidate will be a team player who thrives in an environment that reflects the core values of the College. Mohawk Valley Community College is committed to transforming lives through learning.
- Assists faculty in the preparation of materials for instructional use and supervises students in the use and care of specialized equipment and supplies where needed;
- Cleans, organizes, prepares and equips the food laboratories for classroom instruction on a daily basis, which may include lifting, moving, and set-up of food, supplies, and equipment;
- Maintains all lab facilities and storage areas in compliance with safety and sanitation requirements, including communication with appropriate personnel and/or pest control operators;
- Schedules repairs and general maintenance of hospitality equipment, as needed;
- Builds, creates and maintains vendor relationship database to include researching vendors and soliciting price quotations for food, supplies and equipment on a regular basis or as needed to assure competitive pricing;
- Orders supplies, materials, and equipment as needed and in accordance with the budget. Receives and inspects deliveries to ensure adherence to quality standards;
- Reviews invoices for payment, submitting to the School of Business & Hospitality for approval and processing. Separates and tracks purchases from each invoice, and prepares a report detailing hospitality purchases;
- Conducts physical inventory in the storage lab. Calculates and reports monthly food cost expenses by class for all laboratory based classes; communicates these reports with lab instructors and Dean;
- Attends departmental meetings and provides assistance with specialty events;
- Recruits, hires, trains, supervises, and maintains work records for student employees;
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Dean of Business and Hospitality.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
MVCC does not discriminate. MVCC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. MVCC offers a comprehensive employee enrichment program. Official academic transcripts required upon hire.
Review Start Date: 10/12/2020
Review of applications will begin on the review start date and will continue until successful candidates have been identified.