Postdoctoral Research Associate
The University of Colorado’s Department of Applied Mathematics (APPM) is seeking to fill a postdoctoral research instructorship position to investigate the dynamics of doubly-diffusive systems with a focus on salt-finger convection and associated mixing in oceans.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Department of Applied Mathematics departmental roots go back to the turn of the
last century when it originally was the Department of Engineering Mathematics. The
Department teaches thousands of students and has a major research presence in
computational and physical/biological mathematics and the statistical sciences. It has
23 tenured or tenure track faculty. In addition there are 10 full time instructors, more than
70 graduate students including approximately 40 teaching assistants, about 216 applied
math majors, 23 statistics majors, 96 minors and a thriving BS-MS program.
The Department strives to be a leading program of applied mathematics. In 2018, the
US News & World Report ranked the unit’s graduate program 14th in the nation. The
unit also ranked positively in many measures by the National Research Council in its
2010 decadal survey.
Our faculty have won numerous awards including: four being named fellows of the
Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics, two being named fellows of the
American Mathematical Society, two being named fellows of the American Physical
Society, two Guggenheim Fellows, American Statistical Association Fellow, Sloan
Fellow, and CU-Boulder: Hazel Barnes Prize, Professor of Distinction, winners of
numerous CU-Boulder faculty awards, and two distinguished research lecturers.
Department of Applied Mathematics website:
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Collaborate in the development and simulation of new asymptotic models.
- Collaborate in comparison with full model simulations.
- Conduct and analyze experiments using high-performance computing.
- Perform pre- and post-processing of data as needed for analysis and visualization.
- Describe your results in the form of peer-reviewed articles and in oral presentations.
What You Should Know
The position is a postdoctoral research instructorship within the Department of Applied Mathematics. Participation in the undergraduate teaching mission of the department will be required. If selected as the finalist, it is required to pass a federal laboratory background clearance for site access.
This position is for at least 2 years but extendable to 3 years.
What We Can Offer
We can offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Impactful. Be Professional. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- A relevant Ph.D. degree.
- Experience in one or more fields: Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science.
What You Will Need
- Interest in geophysical applications.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience with fluid dynamics.
- Experience with data processing and data visualization.
- Experience with high-performance computing architectures.
- Experience with Python, C++, Fortran, or equivalent high-level languages.
- Experience in asymptotic analysis and theory and simulation of turbulent flows in three dimensions.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific interest in this position.
- List of contact information for 3 references who will be willing to write a confidential Letter of Recommendation for you. You don’t need to include letters of recommendation with your initial application. The search committee will request letters of recommendation at a later time If you are identified as a finalist for this role.
If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using an approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of the United States, please submit a translated version as an optional attachment.
The position will be open until filled. Applications will be screened as they are received.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Keith Julien
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org