Head Line Cook
CU Boulder Housing and Dining Services encourages applications for a Head Line Cook! This is a hands-on working culinary position that provides oversight and leadership in an assigned dining operating to the BOH Dining Attendants. This position, under the general supervision of the Sous Chef and Kitchen Manager, exists to prepare, assign, and delegate standardized recipe preparation, ensuring quality, A9 and food safety standards are followed in their specific assigned production area. All while offering excellent customer service in a team-driven and supported environment.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
Campus Dining Services exists to provide 3.3 million meals per year for the students, staff, faculty, and guests of the university. We are comprised of Residential Dining Halls, Catering and Retail outlets which operate year-round. Campus Dining owns the industry with outstanding quality food and exceptional dining experiences. We continue to expand our sustainability initiatives and reduce our carbon footprint in our daily operations, including efforts in resource recovery, conservation, and food sourcing. We are committed to providing options and information to all of our guests with dietary restrictions and allergens, including vegan, vegetarian, kosher and Halal choices, supported by a strong allergen awareness program called A9 ® Identified.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Kitchen Prep and Operation:
- Prep, assemble and delegate food preparation tasks.
- Delegate and assist with the setup and breakdown of production and service areas.
- Understand and utilize a variety of equipment and service standards as appropriate.
- Follow and enforce the set food safety protocol in all areas of oversight.
- Ensure the cleanliness and quality of all BOH service areas.
- Assist with customer needs and inquires.
- Lead by example, both in general work ethic and positive and productive demeanor. Display and demonstrate excellent communication skills.
- Follow all ParTEch and A9 labeling procedures, request labels, and recognize allergen errors.
- Fully comprehend allergen labeling protocol, including avoidance of cross-contact, report any concerns.
- Serve of the food safety response team and responds to all food safety emergencies as appropriate to the work assignment. If a work cell phone is provided, a response call must be within an hour of the original call and/or message.
- Train new staff members, both full-time and student employees.
- Empower others to make decisions in areas within their span of control.
- Make scheduling recommendations and alert management of holes in the personnel roster as vital.
- Hold others accountable, following a progressive discipline process. Discuss staff issues with Shift Supervisors and Lead Service Manager.
What You Should Know
- This full-time university staff position offers excellent benefits including:
- 15 paid sick days, 22 paid vacation days and 10 holidays a year.
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance
- Life Insurance.
- Tuition reimbursement
- EcoPass for free RTD rides
- An unparalleled retirement plan
- Frequently promote from within!
What We Can Offer
- The anticipated starting salary for this position is $29,760.00.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Collaborative. Be Innovative. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Three years of BOH food service experience.
- Servsafe certified and/or appropriate certificate for the position level or the ability to acquire a Servsafe certification within 6 months of hire.
- Must possess appropriate Servsafe certification or certificate appropriate to position level for the duration of employment with CDS.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by October 20, 2020, for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
This position is designated “essential services.” The incumbent is required to respond to requests for work during campus emergencies (snow, wind, rain, flood and any other natural or man-made event) and report to work for his / her regularly assigned shift during emergency campus closures.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org