Staff Attorney (15454)
The Staff Attorney will continue the work of Defending the AU Dream Initiative (“AU Dream”), within the Washington College of Law Immigrant Justice Clinic (“IJC”). Launched in July 2019, AU Dream focuses on representing and advocating for immigrant college students and their families. The Staff Attorney will perform the following duties: For academic year 2020-21, provide direct legal services to immigrant students currently enrolled in universities and colleges in the DC, Maryland, and Virginia metropolitan area. Coordinate with IJC faculty and students on community outreach projects related to immigration law and policy matters affecting immigrant college students. Liaise with stakeholders at American University and throughout the region to identify cases and projects and to promote the initiative.
- Provide direct legal services on immigration matters to students currently enrolled at American University and at other universities and colleges in the region. Legal services provided may range from advice and counsel to formal representation.
- Design and plan know your rights workshops, legal clinics, or other outreach activities relating to immigration law matters relevant to college students and their families. The focus of such activities may include, for example, DACA or TPS renewal. Coordinate with IJC faculty and students in planning and executing these activities.
- Create and update informational advisories on immigration policies affecting immigrant students.
- Liaise with stakeholders at American University and throughout the region to identify cases and projects and to promote the initiative. This will include contact with legal service providers, community-based organizations, attorney networks, and colleges/universities. Promotion of the initiative may include speaking at public events and conferences about the initiative.
- Other duties as assigned.
- May supervise Dean’s Fellows
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Project Leader/Advisor B
Position’s Required Presence (subject to change due to the University’s operating status)
- Allow for full telework
Required Education and Experience
- Juris Doctor
- 2-4 years of relevant experience (as a lawyer practicing immigration law)
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Membership in a state ba
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Law & Legal Studies Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.