Research Specialist I
Research Specialist I
Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi
S&E - Life Sciences
Proposed Minimum Salary
Corpus Christi, Texas
The successful applicant for this position (Research Specialist I) will work in Dr. Christopher Hollenbeck's research group and will be responsible for planning and performing laboratory work for several projects related to the genetics of cultured fish and shellfish.
- Perform standard molecular genetics techniques such as DNA extraction, gel electrophoresis, and polymerase chain-reaction (PCR).
- Construct next-generation sequencing (NGS) libraries using various methods.
- Modify existing protocols and develop new protocols for next-generation DNA sequencing.
- Collect and analyze field and laboratory data.
- Prepare reports and manuscripts for submission to granting agencies and academic journals.
- Construct, modify, adapt, assemble, and operate molecular biology laboratory apparatus and equipment.
- Use computer programs and equipment for controlling and compiling data.
- Order and maintain laboratory equipment and stock of reagents.
- Plan and supervise technical operations.
- Develop and optimize laboratory protocols, and training lab personnel.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field.
- Four (4) years experience to include one (1) year in scientific research related to molecular biology.
- Knowledge of molecular biology laboratory equipment, scientific apparatus and computer equipment.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel).
- Ability to balance multiple projects and pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Master's degree in the biological sciences.
- Experience with next-generation sequencing library preparation or other genomic techniques.
- Experience with standard molecular biology techniques, such as nucleic acid extraction and PCR.
- Experience with genomic library preparation.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution's verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution's procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
To apply, visit https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/TAMUCC_External/job/Corpus-Christi-TAMUCC/Research-Specialist-I_R-032797-1