Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Virginia’s School of Data Science (SDS) seeks an Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. As a newly created role, and under the direction of the Dean, the AD-DEI will lead the development and implementation of strategies to align the School of Data Science with UVA’s Inclusive Excellence framework. The Associate Dean will serve as a strategic partner to the Dean and the directors of SDS Centers and Collaboratory’s, and will bring inclusion and diversity into the heart of the School's strategic planning process and academic initiatives. This position will be charged with developing and implementing the School’s approach to addressing the underrepresentation of women and historically marginalized groups in Data Science and related fields (e.g. Computer Science, Applied Statistics, Machine Learning). The School of Data Science currently offers residential and online Master’s degrees in Data Science and is developing curricula to begin offering an undergraduate minor and major as well as PhDs in the coming years. Joint MS degree programs are offered with the Darden School of Business.
The Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion serves as a member of the Dean's Cabinet, integrating diversity and inclusion into the school's planning and operations, including budgeting and strategy. They develop policies and devise and monitor metrics related to diversity, equity and inclusion. In collaboration with Admissions they monitor and support diversity, equity and inclusion in the application and matriculation process. As well as, support and develop supportive programs and retention strategies for students, and faculty/staff from underrepresented groups through mentorship and professional development. The AD-DEI serves as a mandated reporter in compliance with title IX regulations. In collaboration with Human Resources they work to expand the diversity of the candidates for faculty and staff positions, through outreach and recruitment. They represent SDS on university and community councils and initiatives.
About the School: The School of Data Science – UVA’s 12th school and the first established since 2007 – will position the University as a global leader in efforts to improve society through teaching and research based on the powerful, emerging field of data science. It builds on a foundation set in place at UVA by the Data Science Institute (DSI), a pan-University institute established in 2013 that grants graduate degrees and has a dual mission in education and research. The new School of Data Science will be a school without walls and seeks to establish new and exciting types of relationships with the private sector. The School proposes to ultimately offer both doctoral and undergraduate degree programs and certificate programs, helping to meet soaring demand for qualified data science professionals in a field that plays a key role in the global information-based economy. The work crosses disciplines, departments, schools and colleges to leverage UVA’s combined capabilities in data science, and to create meaningful partnerships with government, corporate, and community partners committed to responsible, collaborative, open, and inclusive data science.
- A terminal degree in a field aligned with Data Science
- At least 10 years of experience in higher education or similar environment
- Substantial relevant experience in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion preferably in a research or education setting
- Outstanding communication skills; exceptional ability to convey complex issues and objectives through quantitative, qualitative, and visual means; proven ability to be persuasive and persistent in a collegial setting
- The demonstrated ability to gain the confidence and respect of faculty, students, and administrators
- Evidence of engagement with relevant professional communities (publication, conference participation, speaking/training engagements)
- Demonstrated familiarity with relevant issues and legal frameworks, including Affirmative Action, Titles VI and IX, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), etc.
- A high level of individual initiative and drive; strong problem-solving skills, and a demonstrated ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion
- Understanding of online learning and DEI issues that might arise in online classes/communities
- Experience in international contexts preferred
- Working knowledge in languages other than English is a plus
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search "Find Jobs", and search for "R0016108". Complete an application online and see below for documents to attach.
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, (R0016108) complete the application and see below for documents to attach.
Please note that ALL documents MUST be uploaded in the CV/resume box or you can combine them into one PDF.
Complete an application online and attach:
- Cover letter that clearly relates the applicant’s experience to their vision for making UVA a global leader in diversity, equity, and inclusion in the field of data science
- Contact information for 3 references
***Applications that do not contain all of the required
documents will not receive full consideration.***
The position will remain open until filled.
For questions about the application process please contact Rhiannon O’Coin at email@example.com
The selected candidate will be required to complete a background check at time of offer per University Policy.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Charlottesville
- Deans Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Charlottesville
- Student Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Charlottesville
- Minority & Multicultural Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Charlottesville