Assistant Vice President, Student Affairs
Title: Assistant Vice President, Student Affairs
Division Name: Student Affairs
Campus Location: Normal, ILGeneral Summary
Illinois State University seeks a strategic and mission-oriented collaborator and leader committed to the mission, vision, and values outlined in the University’s strategic plan to serve as assistant vice president (AVP) in the Division of Student Affairs. The AVP reports to the vice president for Student Affairs, serves as a member of the senior leadership team, and assists with the direction and operations of the division in providing educationally purposeful programs, services, and facilities that foster student development, persistence, and success. Additionally, the AVP provides overall planning, direction, and executive management for designated departments in the division.
The AVP serves as a first point of contact between the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs and constituents (e.g., students, faculty, staff, family members, community members, etc.) regarding high profile challenges and opportunities that impact the Division of Student Affairs and must develop a high-level of understanding of the institution and organizational structures to serve in a "problem-solving" role for the vice president. The AVP will oversee University Housing, University Police, Emergency Management, and Divisional Marketing and Communications.
As a member of the senior leadership team, the AVP will assume responsibility for the planning, coordination, and facilitation of various division projects, research, and/or initiatives as assigned by the vice president in addition to representing the interests of the vice president and the Division of Student Affairs on an extensive range of university committees, task forces, and ad hoc committees. The AVP will also serve as the primary public relations officer in the Division and serve in an on-call capacity to direct crisis communication.
The AVP will contribute to the building of a healthy culture of collaboration, teamwork, transparency, and openness throughout the Division and campus to aid in the enrichment of student life quality empowering our students to make the most out of their experiences at Illinois State University.Required Qualifications
2. Minimum of 10 years of experience in Student Affairs and/or higher education administration with increasing levels of responsibility
3. Minimum of 7 years of experience in supervising staff and working directly with college students
4. Experience in assessment, strategic planning, and complex budget management at a department or division level
5. Excellent communication skills and ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the university community
6. Demonstrated leadership ability in decision-making, performance management, and problem-solving
7. Proven ability to manage conflict
8. Experience with building effective partnerships with diverse campus constituencies and community leaders
9. Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusiveness and ability to effectively interact cross culturally
10. Ability to successfully prioritize, coordinate, and facilitate multiple projects and deadlines independently and with limited supervision
Doctorate in student affairs administration, higher education or related areaMandatory Physical Requirement
Must be able to complete the following with or without a
1. Ability to effectively communicate on a daily basis.
2. Ability to work for extended periods at computer workstation.
3. Ability to distinguish colors on a monitor.
4. Ability to use a computer in day-to-day work.
5. Ability to conduct or attend meetings in various locations across campus.
6. Ability to maintain a high level of concentration.
7. Ability to handle stressful situations.
8. Access to transportation and ability to travel within the local community 24/7 at a moment's notice. (This relates to on-call responsibilities with emergency and crisis response)
January 1, 2021Salary Rate / Pay Rate
Commensurate with experience and qualificationsRequired Applicant Documents
Candidates should provide a letter of application that addresses the position responsibilities and qualifications described in this posting, a current resume or curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for at least three (3) professional references.
PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process.Special Instructions for Applicants
View the full Leadership Profile at: https://studentaffairs.illinoisstate.edu/who/about/Leadership%20Profile%20AVP%20SA%20FINAL.pdf
We invite inquiries, nominations, and applications. Initial review of applications will begin on October 19, 2020 and continue until the position is filled. All applications and application materials must be submitted online at: https://jobsearch.illinoisstate.edu/cw/en-us/job/510270/assistant-vice-president-student-affairsContact Information for Applicants
Director, Executive Search Services
If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at (309) 438-3383. The Office of Equal Opportunity and Access will hold any confidential information you provide in confidence.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Merna
- Student Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Merna
- Chief Student Affairs Officers & Vice Presidents Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Merna
- Other Student Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Merna