Director of Development for the College of Engineering
The Director of Development for the College of Engineering reports to the Associate Vice President of Development and serves as a liaison between the College of Engineering and Development for University Advancement. The incumbent works closely with the Associate Vice President of Development providing strategic direction and vision for key fundraising priorities related to San José State University’s next comprehensive campaign; works closely with the Vice President for University Advancement on strategies for and contact with high-level donor prospects in the President’s and Vice President’s respective portfolios.
The Director of Development is expected to actively manage a prospect/donor portfolio with annual goals for personal visits and fundraising outcomes based on established metrics; develop and execute sound strategies to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward major gift prospects/donors – initiate contact, develop appropriate timely fashion toward solicitation and closure; work collaboratively with the leadership of colleges, key university donor-centric cultivation and solicitation strategy; work collaboratively with peers in Major Gifts as well as colleagues in Annual Giving, Planned Giving, Alumni Association and Corporate and Foundation Relations.
This position works with volunteer leadership providing them direction and support in maximizing the college’s major gift fundraising potential; focus on securing funding for the designated priorities including academic programs, scholarships, unrestricted support, facility renovations, new facilities and other specified priorities; collaborate with stewardship colleagues with donor stewardship efforts to help promote a culture of gratitude among internal and external constituents.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
- Work collaboratively with the leadership of colleges, the dean and other college leadership, key university administrators and other stakeholders, offering them counsel on donor-centric cultivation and solicitation strategy, as appropriate
- Prepare written donor cultivation and solicitation plans and proposals
- Engage in campus and community activities relevant to the fundraising mission of the University
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward prospects/donors and effectively move them through the development cycle leading to closing six and seven-figure gifts
- Skillful in making cold calls (opening doors) as well as developing donor-centric cultivation and solicitation strategies
- Ability to navigate the institution / assigned unit and make the appropriate match for donor’s interests
- Thorough knowledge of fundraising in a capital or comprehensive campaign setting
- Ability to engage and support volunteer leadership with their efforts in fundraising, consultation, and advocacy
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong initiative and self-motivation and ability to work as a part of a collaborative team
- Excellent customer service and public relation skills
- Skillful in successfully managing multiple projects on tight deadlines and under pressure in a dynamic and open environment
- Ability to define problems, gather data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to interact with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Three years of progressively responsible experience in development/fundraising
- Master’s Degree
- Experience developing donor (or client)-centric solicitation strategies leading to closing major gifts (or accounts)
- Fundraising experience in capital or comprehensive campaign setting, preferably at an institution of higher education
- Experience engaging and supporting volunteer leadership in their fundraising efforts
- Excellent written communication skills
Classification: Administrator II
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: September 28, 2020 through October 15, 2020 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: September 28, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Development & Advancement Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Chief Business Officers & Vice Presidents Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Alumni Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose