Public Safety Officer
DEPARTMENT: Public Safety
BASIC FUNCTION: Performs effectively as a Public Safety Officer and executes public safety-related duties in accordance with federal, state and university regulations; completes specialty tasks as assigned; remains abreast of public safety trends to enhance public safety skills and performs other duties necessary to ensure crime prevention of the university.
UNUSUAL WORK CONDITIONS: Rotating shift work; works holidays, weekends and midnight shift hours. Knowledge of highly confidential information. Exposure to bloodborne pathogens, hazardous materials, and other dangerous situations. Must be able to remain in a standing or sitting position for an extended period of time. Works in a variety of weather conditions with an exposure to the elements. Carry a firearm within the course of duties. Respond to active critical incidents. Willingness to work extra-duty assignments.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL NEEDED: Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification strongly preferred. If not EMT certified at time of employment, candidate must obtain certification within first 2 years of employment.
EDUCATION: Either a Bachelor’s/Associate’s degree in Criminal Justice or a high school diploma with specific related experience including public safety/civilian/military/police experience.
EXPERIENCE: Registered as a public safety officer with the Connecticut State PolicePossession of a Connecticut Security Officer identification card. Possession of current motor vehicle license in good standing. Possession of a CT pistol permit and Security Officer firearms permit with Security Officer endorsement. Possess and maintain EMT certification. Mandated training for hazardous materials and bloodborne pathogens will be provided. Must be in good physical condition. Must meet annual firearms qualification requirements.
1. Effectively performs as a Public Safety Officer. This involves:
- Patrolling university buildings and grounds by way of
radio-equipped cars, foot patrol and bicycles to prevent theft,
trespass, vandalism or violations of General Statutes and/or
- Investigating and reporting on any violations of the General
Statutes and/or university regulations.
- Enforcing parking regulations including the issuance of
tickets, permits and coordination of towing efforts.
- Notifying supervisors and proper authorities regarding any
violations of the General Statutes and/or university
- Responding and investigating motor vehicle accidents and
accidents caused as a result of fire and personal injury in
accordance with proper public safety, health and safety
- Assisting in the supervision and professional development of
officer trainees, non-officer Public Safety personnel and/or
- Performing general public safety functions including dispatch
operations, traffic control checkpoint duty, monetary escort
services and basic public safety service information to the general
- Effectively responding to and providing medical care in
conjunction with appropriate completion of medical training.
- Maintain and keep current all necessary certifications and
2. Performs a specialty task as assigned.
3. Remains abreast of public safety trends and measures and attends appropriate training sessions to enhance public safety skills.
4. Executes other duties necessary to ensure crime prevention of the university.
5. Participates in the professional development of the department and the university. This involves:
- Participating in staff meetings as requested.
- Acting as a responsible committee representative as
- Promoting an image of efficiency and courtesy throughout the
university community and consistent with the Department of Public
6. Promotes safe and secure working conditions. This involves:
- Promoting the proper utilization of equipment and
- Reporting immediately any unsafe working conditions to
7. Assumes responsibility of the shift when designated as the senior officer on duty.
8. Performs other related duties as directed or dictated by responsibilities.
Duties may be changed and/or be added at any time.
The candidate that receives an offer of employment will be required to have a successful completion of a health physical, drug testing, pre-employment psychological evaluation and agility testing in order to complete the hiring process.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
EVP - Public Safety Officers
All offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory background check.
Fairfield University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, Veterans, and members of historically underrepresented groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with a disability.
Load a resume or CV first, then upload supporting documents including a cover letter at the bottom of the third page under the "My Experience" section where it says to upload a Resume/CV. You will be able to upload up to 5 other documents in this section. You will be unable to edit your application, so please have all documents available before applying. Faculty Positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email the additional documents to the applicable contact in the job description. Staff positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email them to email@example.com
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Public Administration & Policy Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Security Studies Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield