Financial Aid Assistant, Financial Aid Office
The Financial Aid Office invites applications for two (2) Financial Aid Assistants (Admin Associate II) to join their team. These positions will be expected to provide excellent customer to students navigating the process of applying for and receiving aid, and to perform the clerical duties related to processing Federal Direct Loans, private student loans, federal and state work-study programs, and scholarship programs. As a Financial Aid assistant, you must have a philosophy of exceptional customer service, be a quick learner, be able to problem solve and troubleshoot, be comfortable with complexity and continual change, be an excellent communicator, demonstrate exceptional skills at reconciling data, effectively manage conflict, and demonstrate an interest in becoming part of a dedicated team.
It is expected that these positions serve as one of the office’s first points of contact for students, their families, community members, agency representatives, faculty and staff, which requires that you learn the financial aid processes, policies and systems to provide excellent customer service over the phone, by email and in person. Additionally, the persons in these positions must complete the loan certification processes for private loans, process loan checks, and record loan reductions and returns, enter hire cards, draft contracts for off-campus agencies, reconcile earnings reports, enter scholarships into the administrative database, process external scholarship checks, handle scholarship appeals, and general data entry as needed.
The individuals in these positions will be expected to become acquainted with Federal and State aid regulations, and UM policies and procedures. Additionally, they will be expected to become proficient in the use of Banner, COD, NSLDS, Blackbaud Award Management (BAM), and ScholarNet. Also, it is expected that the persons in this position will become familiar with CyberBear, the UM Financial Aid website, FAFSA.gov, BAM, and studentloans.gov to assist students and families with navigating through them.
Employees in this role will aid in the oversight of student employees, however the persons assigned to these positions are not responsible for the management or supervision of classified staff members or contract professional employees.
- Possess strong communication skills and be able to have consistently positive interpersonal interactions with students, families, agency representatives, faculty, and staff
- Ability to be granted access to federal aid databases, meaning cannot be in default on any federal loans
- Possess good mathematic/accounting skills and have great attention to detail
- Ability to understand and effectively communicate complex policies to customers and staff
- Ability to effectively troubleshoot customer needs
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to adjust quickly to changing job demands
- Ability to use standard office equipment including copiers, fax machine, ten-key adding machine, multi-line phone system
- Demonstrated skills in the operation of personal computers and related word processing, spreadsheet, and database software (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) with the ability to learn other software
Minimum Required Experience
- High School diploma and three (3) years of relevant experience within higher education or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience with financial aid
About the Financial Aid Department and UM
We, the staff of the Financial Aid office, in order to support the educational goals of students, equitably distribute financial resources to an economically diverse population within the bounds of imposed regulations, providing a depth of service corresponding to the needs of our community.
We strive to build the reputation of the university by being courteous, knowledgeable and approachable to all. We endeavor to effectively use technology and continually seek to improve our communication and processes. We embrace each staff member’s strengths, creating a positive environment where all can thrive.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Position Title: Financial Aid Assistant (Administrative Associate II)
Position Number: NEW
Department: Financial Aid
Work Schedule: Part-time Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year.
Salary: $12.42/hr –Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and will minimally be this posted salary. For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department .
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Monday, October 12, 2020 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Financial Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner