Associate Clinical Dean - United States
Opportunity at a Glance
American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine is seeking a dynamic and experienced board certified, US licensed physician to join our team as the Associate Clinical Dean - United States.
The Associate Clinical Dean is responsible to support the Senior Associate Dean in ensuring academic excellence throughout the clinical sciences division in terms of curriculum, clinical site quality, comparability across affiliates, assessment of clinical competency, and student outcomes. The Associate Clinical Dean oversees activities related to clinical science education and student performance by directly supervising a team of Clinical Chairs and working collaboratively with the Clinical Chairs, Site and Clerkship Directors, and clinical faculty. The Associate Clinical Dean is also responsible for working collaboratively with other Deans, Chairs, and faculty at AUC campuses and US-based clinical sites in the oversight of a well-integrated medical program throughout the entire four years. This includes the maintenance of an integrated curriculum consistent with acceptable best practices of medical education, the use of technology in the delivery of certain aspects of medical education, and evaluation of University and student performance. In addition, the Associate Clinical Dean serves as a respected representative of AUC at meetings, conferences, workshops, and accreditation reviews and participates as a member of various committees and task forces. This is a full-time administrative position reporting to the Senior Associate Dean, Academic and Student Affairs.
- Manages the team of Clinical chairs and works closely with them and other clinical leaders to assure compliance and comparability with core curriculum requirements at each clinical site
- Participates in clinical faculty development programs.
- Participates as a member of committees and task forces charged with the responsibility of ongoing curriculum development and implementation.
- Works with the Clinical Chairs and other clinical leaders in establishing and updating clinical program guidelines consistent with the disciplines, LCME, and other board standards.
- Ensures the clinical sciences division is in compliance with current developments in medicine as they will be reflected in the USMLE Step 2 examinations.
- Works with the Clinical Chairs and other clinical leaders to help guarantee the highest possible performance by students on Step 2 USMLE.
- Conducts annual site visits at US clinical sites.
- Serves on appropriate bodies to assure accreditations are maintained.
- Participates in program evaluations and assessments to assure appropriate outcomes are achieved.
- Oversee all academic programming for clinical students at US sites.
- Procure new US-based clinical training sites – recruiting and negotiating hospital contracts in conjunction with the clinical sciences leadership team
- Further develops existing clinical training sites in the US by helping individual sites develop a structure that supports AUC policies for core clerkships through fostering administrative connections, promoting faculty development, and guiding standardization of procedures across sites
- Provide oversight and direct evaluations of clinical training sites in the US per the ACCM requirements via writing, reviewing, and responding to annual site visit reports.
- Review students’ academic performance data and individual clinical site data to inform programmatic initiatives.
- Provide programming and guidance for students experiencing academic difficulties, specifically related to examination preparation and remediation.
- Work closely with the Office of Student Professional Development (OSPD) and its Physician Match Advisor Program on strategies to increase students’ success in the NRMP.
- Edit and update AUC’s Course Catalog and Student Handbook as needed.
- Contribute to clinical transition programming
- Serve as second line of escalation for individual clinical student academic and professionalism issues (in collaboration with the ADCSA).
- Address conduct complaints and oversee Administrative Reviews that occur as a result of student actions at US clinical
- Actively participate in clinical symposia, board meetings, and accreditation visits.
- Coordinate efforts with educational administrators in the Medical Sciences to promote consistent management of issues and promotion of positive learning environments.
- Serve as a member of the Clinical Sciences Leadership Team (Sr Associate Dean, US and UK Deans, and Student Affairs Dean)
- Contribute to quarterly reports for AUC’s Board of Directors
- Completes other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The minimum requirements for the education, experience, knowledge, and skills required to competently perform in this position are listed below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- MD or equivalent degree required
- Board certified in a medical specialty and currently licensed as a physician in the US
- Minimum of ten years of experience teaching medical students and /or residents
- Demonstrated record of outstanding achievement within a discipline, in administration, in research, and /or as a teacher
- Experience with advising students and career counseling
- Current knowledge of advancements in medical education
- Skilled negotiator and mediator
- Collaborative leadership style
- Must be able to meet domestic and international requirements for travel to and from the United States, United Kingdom, and St. Maarten.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. At Adtalem, we welcome everyone and have a strong commitment towards diversity and inclusion. We encourage our Colleagues to be their true authentic selves and support laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. We also maintain a drug-free workplace.
Who We Are
American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine (AUC) is an international medical school preparing physicians for careers in the United States, Canada, and worldwide. We believe that today’s complex healthcare landscape requires a different type of doctor, one who is globally minded and capable of working as part of a cohesive team to deliver empathetic, extraordinary care to diverse patient populations. AUC employs a U.S. model curriculum with two years of medical sciences taught at our St. Maarten campus, followed by two years of clinical sciences taught at affiliated hospitals in the United States and the United Kingdom. AUC is proud to have more than 7,000 alumni eligible for licensure in all 50 states and practicing medicine as chief residents, department chairs, program directors, researchers, entrepreneurs, and community advocates.
AUC’s mission is to train tomorrow’s physicians whose service to their communities and patients is enhanced by international learning experiences, a diverse learning community, and an emphasis on social accountability and engagement. Learn more about AUC, part of Adtalem Global Education, at www.aucmed.edu.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Working from home
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Working from home
- Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Working from home
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Working from home
- Deans Not specified Full Time jobs in Working from home