The Starnes Family Endowed Deanship of the College of Business
The Starnes Family Endowed Deanship
of the College of Business
Lander University, a comprehensive regional public university in South Carolina, seeks a dynamic and visionary academic leader to lead its AACSB-accredited College of Business as Dean and hold The Starnes Family Endowed Deanship. The finalist will be expected to join the University in January 2021.
For complete information, see the Search Profile at https://myersmcrae.com/skins/userfiles/files/Lander-Bus.pdf
In 2016, under the leadership of its new president, Dr. Richard Cosentino, Lander University approved a new mission statement and developed a bold strategic plan entitled Launch. This bold strategy set LU on an academic and administrative course that continues to result in student success and academic growth across the entire University.
The 60 areas of study, including 16 signature academic programs in emerging and high-demand fields, are attracting academically talented students from across the state and the nation. Freshman enrollment at Lander has increased steadily over the past five years. Despite complications from the COVID-19 pandemic, the University’s Fall 2020 enrollment marks the largest in its 148-year history. The University opened with 3,511 students, an 8.9% increase over the previous year’s enrollment of 3,227 students.
On-campus housing is at 100% capacity, with local hotels utilized to secure temporary housing for students until residential space opens on campus. Lander also broke a nearly 30-year record for retention at 75%, topping the previous record of 71% set in 1992.
The fastest growing institution of higher education in South Carolina, Lander projects an enrollment of 5,000 students in the next three years, which will bring new challenges associated with the University’s physical infrastructure.
Along with its tremendous growth, Lander continues to be recognized for its quality and innovative academic programs. For 2020, U.S. News & World Report placed the University at #5 among the Top Public Schools in the South, with a ranking of No. 29 in the publication’s Regional Colleges South category. It also named Lander as one of the South’s best colleges for veterans.
In 2019, Lander became the newest member of the University Center of Greenville (UCG), a higher education collaboration of seven highly ranked South Carolina universities and colleges. Located an hour from the University’s historic campus in Greenwood, UCG’s mission is to advance access and attainment of higher education degrees for the benefit of the citizens and economic community of greater Greenville, S.C., and the region at-large. Lander began offering courses in Fall 2020. UCG is enabling Lander to expand its student capacity with undergraduate, online, and graduate programs.
College of Business
The College of Business is a leading unit within the University, driving enrollment growth through innovative, market-driven academic programs. Students benefit from a high level of interaction with faculty and hands-on and innovative learning experiences.
The outstanding quality of the business programs and the high performance of the faculty are reflected in the College’s accreditation from the prestigious Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International (AACSB) since 2003. In February 2019, Lander earned a five-year extension of its AACSB accreditation.
The College has more than 650 students at the undergraduate and graduate level and anticipates substantial future enrollment growth. The more than 15 faculty, staff, and administrators are accessible and are engaged in assisting students in reaching their academic goals. The growing faculty bring both academic and business experience to their classrooms.
The College offers bachelor’s degrees in Business Administration with emphases in Accounting, Financial Services, Health Care Management, Hospitality Management, Information Technology Management, Management/Marketing, and Sports Management. It also recently added an online Bachelor of Applied Science degree. At the graduate level, it offers an online Master of Science in Management.
In addition, the College is developing an online Master of Business Administration degree. The College plays a crucial role in developing online programs and programs offered at the University’s site at the University Center of Greenville. The College offers an active learning environment through internships, project-driven classes, and real projects for real organizations.
The Dean is appointed by the President with the advice of the Provost and Executive Vice President of Academic Affairs (Provost). The Dean holds faculty rank and may be tenured in accordance with University policies.
Reporting to the Provost, the Dean ensures the College’s programs promote and align with the overall strategic plan and success of the University. In coordination with the Provost, the Dean provides leadership and direction for the College’s programs and activities. As the senior administrative officer of the College, the Dean is responsible for all functions and matters relating to the College and is a valuable member of the Provost’s leadership team.
Duties and Responsibilities
The principal functions of the Dean of the College of Business will include:
- Ensure the alignment of the College’s efforts with the strategic goals of the University.
- Represent the President and Provost to the faculty and staff of the College.
- Represent, advocate for, and mediate for the College’s faculty, students, and academic programs.
- Lead development of new academic programs and revision of existing academic programs.
- Promote retention, persistence, and degree completion of students of the College and University as a whole.
- Direct continuous improvement of the College, ensuring it is an innovative unit current or ahead of national best practices.
- Represent the College on the Provost’s Deans Council.
- Coordinate with the Provost’s office to ensure successful accreditation.
- Work with academic departments and the Office of the Provost on developing and implementing strategic planning goals, objectives, and action plans.
- Represent the College and University within the community and with national, regional, and state organizations.
- Assist the Office of University Advancement in fundraising for the College.
- Collaborate with the Office of Admissions to set and meet goals for student enrollment, retention, and graduation.
- Appoint, mentor, and supervise the Assistant Dean.
- Supervise the curricula, courses, and methods of instruction, and work with faculty to improve them.
- Serve as a liaison to the other administrative units of the University to promote University-wide endeavors.
- Recruit faculty who will position the College for success.
- Mentor and develop faculty, with an emphasis on ensuring faculty are prepared to achieve promotion.
- Oversee department chairs’ annual evaluation of faculty members.
- Oversee the annual schedule of course offerings.
- Recommend the appointment, salary, promotion, tenure, and dismissal of faculty members.
- Oversee the budget for the College.
- Cultivate a collegial, collaborative environment with faculty, students, staff, administrators, and the community.
- Promote diversity and effective interaction within a multicultural environment.
- Lead with transparency and respect, modeling professional and ethical behavior.
- Support the teaching, research, and scholarly work of the faculty and students in the College.
An earned doctorate in a discipline within the College is required. Candidate must have a minimum of 10 years of full-time college teaching experience with a record of teaching, scholarship, and service that would merit appointment to the rank of at least Associate Professor, with accomplishments meriting the rank of Professor strongly preferred.
Minimum of one year experience as Dean or Interim Dean. A minimum of three years of higher education administration experience as an Associate Dean, Division Head, Department Chair, or similar administrative position that includes supervision of direct reports and evidence of strong management and innovative leadership.
Experience with developing and overseeing online programs, and online teaching and learning is strongly preferred.
- Collegiality, a respect for shared governance, and a possession of a collaborative management style
- Superb interpersonal abilities and communication skills
- A commitment to the needs of a multicultural faculty and student body
- Experience with successful accreditation efforts
- Additional Preferred Requirements:
- Demonstrated success with program revision and development
- Documented evidence of building positive relations with the local/regional business community and alumni, including successful fundraising
- Experience with writing grants and proposals
The final candidate(s) must successfully satisfy a background review, including a credit report.
Greenwood, South Carolina
Lander University is located in Greenwood, a beautiful, thriving city nestled in South Carolina’s Upstate region. Greenwood is home to a number of regional festivals, including the nationally acclaimed Festival of Flowers and the Food Network-featured Festival of Discovery.
Exceptional dining, shopping, and cultural attractions, as well as plenty of recreational options can be found minutes from campus. The beautiful 11,000-acre Lake Greenwood provides a wide variety of water recreation and sports.
Major cities, coastal beaches, and the mountains are easily accessible. Greenville/Spartanburg, ranked on numerous lists of top U.S. cities from People magazine to National Geographic Traveler, is only 55 miles away and has an international airport and an Amtrak station for additional connections. Other major metropolitan areas that are easy drives include Charlotte, N.C., Columbia, S.C., and Atlanta, Ga.
Application and Nomination Process
Confidential inquiries are welcomed, and nominations are invited.
Application packet must include: a) A letter of interest that addresses the qualifications for the position; b) Current curriculum vitae; and c) At least five references with full contact information including e-mails. (References will not be contacted without consent from applicant.)
Additional information will be requested upon receipt of application.
Submit application packet to Lander-Business@myersmcrae.com (preferably as PDFs). For best consideration, submit application materials by October 20, 2020.
Submit nominations to Lander-Businessemail@example.com with complete contact and e-mail information for the individual being nominated.
Jennifer Barfield, Senior Vice President and Consultant, and Emily Parker Myers, CEO of Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting, are conducting this search. Request a conversation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lander University is an AA/EEO/Title IX employer and does not discriminate against any person or group on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, pregnancy, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or genetic information and complies with Title IX requirements. Lander University is a tobacco-free campus. Lander University will not provide sponsorship. All final candidates are subject to successfully completing background requirements. The duties and responsibilities of this position require that all applicants be subject to the customary background review, including a credit report.
Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting
515 Mulberry Street, Suite 200, Macon, Georgia 31201
478) 330-6222 | www.myersmcrae.com