Department Head, Reference
The Mary and John Gray Library at Lamar University is seeking an experienced, innovative, and motivated individual to lead the library’s reference department. Reporting directly to the Dean of the Library, the successful candidate will lead the department in building a mix of reference services appropriate to a 21st century academic institution.
With an enrollment of over 15,000 students, Lamar University is one of Texas’ fastest growing universities. The Carnegie Research university has been nationally recognized for the quality of its core curriculum and the diversity of its student body. Beaumont is a Texas Gulf Coast city located between Houston and New Orleans. With mild winters and an exciting blend of cultures, it offers much to do with a wide variety of restaurants, museums, and arts venues. As the 4th largest U.S. city, nearby Houston offers an extensive range of attractions.
We seek an individual who can build a true 21st century reference department, curating a mix of services that will more effectively and efficiently serve the unique needs of a 21st century clientele. Duties include managing and leading a team of dedicated professional and staff employees, participating in the direct provision of services, working with the Assessment Librarian to develop analytics demonstrating usage and efficacy of services, and developing the library’s collection of research guides.
• MLS/MIS or equivalent from an ALA-accredited program and a minimum of 3 years of leadership experience in a reference operation serving a university or college
• Familiarity with the ACRL Information Literacy Framework.
• At least one year of experience as an instructor in a library instructional program in a university or college setting.
• A minimum of two years of supervisory experience
• Experience in the use of Microsoft Office products, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, and experience in the use of library reference software tools, such as Gimlet, or Springshare software products (Libguides, Libanswers, LibCal, etc.).
• Effective oral and written communications skills.
• Ability to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities.
• Demonstrated ability to interact effectively and work collaboratively with a variety of colleagues.
• Record of scholar and service appropriate to a faculty role.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.