Assistant/Associate Professor of Secondary Social Studies Education
North Central University Mission Statement:
North Central University is a Christ-centered, Pentecostal school with a commitment to academic excellence that prepares students to fulfill biblical models of leadership and ministry throughout the world (Ephesians 4: 11-12).
At a time when the need for highly qualified and skilled teachers is reaching a national crisis, the School of Education (SOE) at North Central University (NCU) is dedicated to providing the best in teacher preparation where students “Enter Inspired. Leave Empowered.” If you are looking to engage in higher education and invest your years of dedication to the profession into the next generation of teachers, then we want to hear from you. This is a powerful opportunity to make an impact not only with the preservice teachers you will educate but also on the thousands of students they will teach.
The growing School of Education at NCU is seeking a faculty member with expertise in secondary social studies instruction and assessment in middle and high school settings. Duties include teaching 3-4 courses per semester, supervising student teachers and field experiences, advising and mentoring students, relevant departmental work, institutional committee work, relevant scholarly activity, and service. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Ideal candidates will demonstrate a commitment to and expertise for preparing preservice teachers for diverse urban, suburban, and rural settings and have advanced skills in teaching pedagogy and classroom management. Candidates should evidence in their application a passion for teaching, be highly skilled in active learning, and demonstrate a desire to serve as mentors to preservice teachers both in and out of the classroom.
- PhD, EdD, or MEd with extensive 5-12 teaching experience
- At least three years of documented successful teaching social studies in grades 5-8 and/or 9-12
- Preferred: current or recent state teaching license
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work as a team member
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Deep commitment to team and personal development
- Attendance or membership at an Assemblies of God church or a like-minded church body
- Willingness to sign North Central University’s lifestyle statement
- Preferred areas of specialization/interest: secondary social studies teaching, secondary technology integration including hybrid /distance teaching, teacher coaching experience, presentations/publications in the field, and culturally responsive teaching.
In addition to the Faculty Employment Application, please submit the following:
- Letter of interest
- Résumé or curriculum vitae
- Letters of reference
- Statement of Personal Faith
- Teaching Philosophy Description
- Relevant curriculum sample, teaching samples, and/or student evaluations
Working Conditions and Frequency:
Equipment and Tools Use of a PC, telephone, and email.
Work is performed in an urban, diverse, and Christ-centered educational environment in the heart of downtown Minneapolis.
North Central University employs qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, familial status, and status with regard to public assistance. Individuals must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
The aforementioned statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of the position; rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the qualifications of the position. Job incumbents may be required to perform functions not specifically addressed in this job description.