Cancer Research & Resource Center Program Specialist
University Code 21231 University Title Health Educator 1 University Job Family Health Sciences ORP Eligible Yes For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Multi Title Scope of Search Regional Working Title Cancer Research & Resource Center Program Specialist Position Number 571400 Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Health Behavior And Policy Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
This position primary work location is Lawrenceville Massey Cancer Center Resource Center.
1. Promotes NCI cancer education and control initiatives with a major emphasis on reaching minority and medically underserved populations, cancer patients and their families, and health professionals in the geographic areas covered by the Office of Health Equity and Disparities Research ( OHEDR ).
2. Through community partnerships, coordinates local and state cancer programs, and assists organizations in building capacity to conduct culturally appropriate cancer education activities which aim to reduce cancer health disparities and build public awareness of cancer prevention strategies, clinical and supportive research/ studies and programs.
3. Establish and help maintain communication among patients, their families, physicians, and entities in the health care system through a patient navigation program.
4. Introduce cancer prevention and control researchers and promote community outreach and engagement cancer research.
5. Provide activities and programming for healthcare providers and the community to increase awareness of the importance of cancer prevention and control and navigation throughout the continuum of care.
6. Serves as a case-finder for potential clinical trials and cancer prevention and control research. Assist researchers in promoting community outreach and engagement cancer research.
7. Coordinate the center’s educational activities for the public, cancer survivors and their families and health professionals.
8. Responsible for producing and coordinating all Center marketing including print, radio, visuals and TV, to include assisting with media for potential clinical trials and cancer prevention and control research.
Minimum Hiring Standards
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA’s) and/or Competencies required to successfully perform work and Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification required for entry into the position. This info will be imported to the eJobs@VCU.
Excellent working knowledge of computers and online resources; skill in accessing pertinent databases for patrons and staff; ability to train others in using databases effectively; skill in making effective public presentations; working knowledge of the community and its needs; ability to organize training events and programs for diverse groups; skill in working both with health providers and with health consumers; ability to communicate at all knowledge levels; ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment; ability to provide patient navigation; evaluates patients for clinical research project eligibility; provide education to patients and families regarding clinical research; assists in the consenting of patients for clinical trials; coordinates and designs systems with research team to collect protocol data, and interfaces with agencies and groups related to the research process; ability to identify community healthcare priority areas and develop appropriate programing to coordinate these areas with cancer prevention and control education; ability to help local healthcare providers evaluate citizens for study and research eligibility; ability to educate diverse populations; ability to accept supervision; ability to communicate ideas effectively both orally and in writing; ability to work independently or as part of a team; ability to design appropriate questionnaires and measurement tools for tracking outcomes of the program; ability to keep good records; ability to interact with a diverse population; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the general public; strong organizational skills, public speaking skills, and experience in training and/or working with the media; willing to travel a significant amount of time throughout the area with occasional overnight stays.
Preferred Hiring Standards
- Bachelor’s degree in health sciences, social sciences, public health, or related field preferred.
Master’s degree preferred.
- Previous experience with SPSS and REDCap preferred
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range $42,000-50,000 Application Process/Additional Information Campus Off-site Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours M-F Job Open Date 09/25/2020 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Research Is this a restricted position? Yes Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? No Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link http://www.vcujobs.com/postings/100846 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document