Financial Aid Counselor
The Bard Prison Initiative (BPI) seeks a Financial Aid
Counselor. This is a full-time, exempt, 12 month per year
position. The successful candidate will excel at working in
a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity,
socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation and
religion. This position is fully benefits-eligible
through Bard College. Staff benefits include health insurance with
prescription, vision, and dental, as well as employer contributions
to a retirement plan. A private institution serving in the public
interest, Bard College is committed to critical inquiry, civic
engagement, and the expansion of educational access.
The Bard Prison Initiative (BPI) is nationally recognized for its innovative model of academic inclusion. One of the most rigorous and effective college-in-prison programs in the country, BPI is now extending its radical intervention in educational inequity outside of prison through two other full- scholarship degree programs: the Bard Microcollege and Bard Baccalaureate. This position is an opportunity to contribute to BPI’s growth and sustainability by overseeing student financial aid across all of its programs. It will be located in the Bard College Office of Financial Aid in Annandale-on- Hudson and will require occasional travel to New York City and Holyoke, Massachusetts, as well as to NYS correctional facilities where BPI operates.
Key Responsibilities & Outcomes
- Ensure clear communication with prospective and current students about financial aid processes and requirements;
- Create financial aid systems that emphasize individual attention and minimize bureaucratic obstacles;
- Systematize processes with program staff to ensure consistency and coordination across all BPI campuses;
- Oversee development of additional resources for students seeking to rehabilitate defaulted loans and reestablish financial aid eligibility;
- Review and resolve required verifications of federal student eligibility;
- Prepare reports for BPI and external partners;
- Remain current on federal, state, and college policy;
- Contribute to responsibilities shared among members of the Bard College Financial Aid office;
- Maintain strong working relationships with related Bard College offices.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Associate degree required, Bachelor degree preferred;
- Three years of experience in a Financial Aid office preferred;
- Commitment to BPI’s mission of defying expectations of who college is for and where it might lead;
- Practical knowledge of online financial aid systems and Banner database;
- Strong attention to detail and excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time and work in standard office environment;
- Must be able to occasionally lift 20 pounds;
- Must be able to work occasional weekends and evenings as needed.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and the names of
three references through Interfolio.com at:
Bard College is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic information. Bard is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for all individuals in employment practices, services, programs, and activities.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Annandale
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Annandale
- Financial Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Annandale
- Student Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Annandale
- Financial Aid Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Annandale