Medical Assistant II
Location: Healthcare for the Homeless - Houston, 1934 Caroline Street, Houston, TX 77002
This position requires exceptional communication and customer service skills, experience, and proficiency with patient registration functions. There is a strong preference for previous work experience with people who have mental health needs. Candidate must be punctual, dependable, and flexible with assignments. This position reports to the medical provider on duty for clinical supervision and to the Lead MA and Director of Clinical Operations for administrative supervision. Daily work hours may vary with minimal evening or weekend hours. The scope of service includes comprehensive primary medical and behavioral healthcare for homeless adults and limited pediatric care.
Parking Cost: $8/day at the meters and St. Joseph garage across the street is $10/day
• Registers patients, verifies patient information and insurance.
• Answers phone, makes appointments.
• Gathers data for reports.
• Assists with Quality Improvement projects.
• Performs other tasks or special assignments as necessary.
• Supports clinical provider and care team to ensure coordinated care for patients.
• Maintains proper documentation in patient’s electronic medical record.
• Helps to maintain a clean, well-stocked and organized clinic environment.
• Performs phlebotomy and waive testing.
- High school diploma or GED and completion of a Medical Assistant Training program through an accredited institution.
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Current certification as a Medical Assistant through an accredited professional organization (AAMA, AMT, ARMA, NCCT, NAHP, NHA, NAHP, AMCA, or NRMA).
• Experience working with homeless/medically underserved people and people with mental illness
• Exceptional customer service skills
• Experience with patient management and electronic medical records systems
• Self-directed with good organizational skills
• Communicates and works well within a collaborative team environment
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.