We are encouraging applications for an Instrument Engineer to participate in the implementation of new LASP instruments and the development, operation, and maintenance of our hardware test facilities.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP) at the University of Colorado Boulder (CU) began in 1948, a decade before NASA. We are the world’s only academic research institute to have sent instruments to all eight planets and Pluto.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Participate in instrument builds with responsibilities including:
- Development of lower-level instrument requirements from higher-level requirements.
- Development and execution of subsystem calibration plans.
- Analyze and document instrument and subsystem calibration data.
Develop, upgrade, operate, and maintain the LASP hardware test facilities including:
- Thermal vacuum test facilities.
- Vacuum bake-out facilities.
- Specialized optical test facilities, including coherent and incoherent light sources from the XUV to the thermal infrared.
- Specialized dust and particle test facilities.
What You Should Know
Physical laboratory work with vacuum, optical, electrical, and mechanical systems. This includes working in a laboratory environment with various types of operational vacuum pumps, replacing and modifying components on small and large vacuum systems, lifting and moving of vacuum system components (up to 35 pounds), and working with and moving wheeled 230L LN2 dewars.
Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer and attending both virtual and in-person meetings.
Due to U.S. Export Control Requirements, only U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents may apply.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Adaptable. Be Strategic. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree in Physical Sciences or Engineering.
- Five years of proven experience.
- Experience with one or more of the following: scientific programming (MATLAB, IDL, Python, etc.), optical design software (ZEMAX), mechanical computer-aided design (CAD) software, electrical design, and layout software, finite element/PDE analysis.
- Laboratory background within a relevant field (optics, radiometry, mass spectroscopy, particle detector, etc.)
- Experience with basic machine shop tools and electrical assembly.
What You Will Need
- Proficient operating complex vacuum test systems.
- Understanding of physics underlying instrument and detector subsystems.
- Understanding of electronic circuits.
- Advanced hardware test and debugging skills.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Ph.D. or Master’s degree preferred.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Engineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder