University Code 34051 University Title Lab/Research Technician 1 University Job Family Research & Innovation ORP Eligible No For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Single Title Scope of Search Regional Working Title Lab Technician Position Number 588360 Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Non-Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Family Medicine & Population Health Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
We are seeking a talented and motivated Lab Technician to work in the newly established laboratory of Dr. Hua Zhao. We are focused on understanding the genetic and non-genetic etiology of human cancer development and progression. Our research spans epidemiology, molecular biology, and oncology. We perform experiments with blood samples and tumor specimens.
The Lab Technician will be responsible for assisting the PI in laboratory setup, and helping postdoctoral fellows in techniques including but not limited to basic molecular biology and biochemistry techniques ( RNA / DNA isolation, quantitative real time PCR, and Luminex,) and tissue culture.
Key Responsibilities include:
• Independently conduct experiments and maintain meticulous records of all experiments and their outcomes.
• Review literature on a regular basis to remain current with new procedures, and apply these to the ongoing research.
• Contribute to publication of findings by conducting experiments and participating in writing protocols for the methods used.
• Help with general lab maintenance as needed, maintain lab stock, manage reagent inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.
• Assist in training of new lab personnel in procedures and techniques.
• Other duties may be assigned as and when they arise.
Minimum Hiring Standards
• Bachelor’s degree in biology, or another field related to Life Sciences.
• Working understanding of basic techniques and procedures related to the above fields.
• Strong analytical skills, excellent judgment and strong work ethic.
• Highly motivated, dedicated and independent.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Collaborative team player.
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to work under deadlines as needed.
• General computer skills (MS Word, Excel).
• Strong desire to learn new techniques.
• Strong understanding of basic scientific principles.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work in a diverse environment required.
Preferred Hiring Standards Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range $30,000 - $35,000 Application Process/Additional Information Campus MCV Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours Monday - Friday Job Open Date 09/24/2020 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Laboratory Is this a restricted position? Yes Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? No Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link http://www.vcujobs.com/postings/100793 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Bachelor's Degree in Life Sciences field?
- * Please describe the types of lab techniques you are familiar
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond