Director of Stewardship
Director of Stewardship
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 2015-1602649
Location: CA 94556-1541, CA
Department: ADVANCEMENT DEPARTMENT
Closing: 10/21/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
Founded in 1863, Saint Mary's is a residential campus nestled 20 miles east of San Francisco in the picturesque Moraga Valley. Based in the Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions, Saint Mary's currently enrolls more than 4,000 students from diverse backgrounds in undergraduate and graduate programs. The De La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College.
As a comprehensive and independent institution, Saint Mary's offers undergraduate and graduate programs integrating liberal and professional education. Saint Mary's reputation for excellence, innovation and responsiveness in education stems from its vibrant heritage as a Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts institution. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff that value shared inquiry, integrative learning and student interaction bring these traditions to life in the 21st century. The College is committed to the educational benefits of diversity.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Alumni & Community Engagement, the Director of Stewardship works to advance relationships between the College and its donors, alumni, and friends. In partnership with members of the Advancement staff, this individual oversees a range of activities that result in donors feeling appreciated, understanding that their gifts are critically important and developing deeper bonds with and greater affection for Saint Mary's College. The Director of Stewardship will design, document, and implement a systematic and integrated recognition system that cleverly incorporates science that includes, but is not limited to, written communications to donors, creative donor recognition ideas, giving societies, activities and events, naming opportunities, and physical recognition on campus.
This position is responsible for the appropriate and consistent recognition and stewardship of donors at all levels through strong partnerships with the Advancement team members. They will determine the best strategies for the effective stewardship of donors and have a background in developing and overseeing naming opportunities for gifts, managing donor recognition societies, and working on creative and customized stewardship strategies for donors. To be successful in this position, candidates must have a strong understanding of fundraising, donor relations and stewardship in higher education setting and be both creative and disciplined to execute a broad range of activities.
1. Work with the AVP for Development and the major gift officers to develop and execute stewardship activities for the College's major donors and is responsible for the prudent management of Saint Mary's relationships with donors through strategic communication, recognition, and events. This candidate must possess the ability to interact successfully and independently with the College's senior staff, faculty, students and trustees and also with donors, alumni, parents and friends.
2. Work with the Director of Annual Giving Programs to develop and execute broad stewardship for the College's annual donors.
3. Work with the Sr. Director of Advancement Services to produce regular stewardship reports that show donors how their gifts are being used and the impact they have.
4. Manage acknowledgement and recognition of endowed funds, major gifts, including letters, press releases, events, plaques, and custom recognition activities and gifts.
5. Research & recommend new and additional stewardship programs to convey the impact of donors' gifts, the college's gratitude, and to promote further giving.
6. Direct and execute all stewardship events to express gratitude for our major donors and further engage them in the life of Saint Mary's College.
7. Other duties as assigned. Handle special projects for the AVP as needed.
Experience and Qualifications
Experience: A minimum of five (5) years work experience in donor and volunteer relations, development, marketing, public relations or a related field preferred.
Skills/Abilities: Also required are outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, ability to interact effectively with a range of constituents, colleagues, and personalities, organization skills and attention to detail. The ideal candidate will have strong customer service orientation, self-confidence, including the ability to lead and direct the efforts of others, strong social and motivational skills and be effective at being a member of a team, in various roles as required /defined by task. Creativity to produce effective programming for a variety of audiences is needed.
Licenses & Certifications: REQUIRED: N/A
Other Requirements: N/A
Application Instructions: Please apply on-line at http://jobs.stmarys-ca.edu
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how you meet the qualifications and are prepared to support the mission of the College
- A resume
- The name and contact information for three (3) professional references
Saint Mary's is an equal employment opportunity employer. We support inclusive excellence and are committed to creating a safe and welcoming community for all. College policy prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, gender stereotyping, and gender identity, taking a protected leave (e.g. family medical or pregnancy leave), or on any other basis protected by applicable laws.
Saint Mary's College annually collects information about campus crimes and other reportable incidents in accordance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. To view the Saint Mary's College Report, please go to the Public Safety website at http://www.stmarys-ca.edu/public-safety/annual-security-and-fire-safety-report-0. To request a paper copy please call Public Safety at (925) 631-4284. The report includes the type of crime, venue, and number of occurrences.
Please apply online at https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/stmarys