SENIOR DIRECTOR OF EDUCATIONAL AFFAIRS
SENIOR DIRECTOR OF EDUCATIONAL AFFAIRS
Posting Number: SRGV4664
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Department: School of Medicine / Education and Academic Affairs
Scope of Job:
To provide overall guidance, direction, management and leadership for the general operations of the Office of Educational Affairs (OEA). Sustain an environment of academic excellence for each academic team and a collaborative working environment with leadership team members, managing the overall performance of the academic teams and establishing and managing various processes related to academic success and outcomes in alignment with the strategic goals of OEA and the School of Medicine.
Description of Duties:
• Provides leadership and support in the management of the performance of the academic teams to help deliver on the overall strategic goals of the OEA and individual staff metrics while ensuring compliance with all applicable accreditation standards, state and federal regulations, policies and established workflows.
• Develops, plans and aligns the strategic mission and objectives to support faculty in the effective delivery of the undergraduate medical education curriculum (UME).
• Establishes clear and focused expectations and accountabilities, addresses performance issues and conflict appropriately and promotes/facilitates talent development appropriately for academic and course coordinators and the teams responsible for clinical skills, simulation, and various education technology platforms.
• Collaborates with the leadership team to build and continuously train a cohesive academic team within OEA.
• Oversees the support provided to faculty teaching skill development, curriculum management, curriculum evaluation and revision, teaching methods, evaluation of teaching and student learning, and educational research methods.
• Works closely with the Senior Associate Dean for Educational Affairs to build and maintain open, transparent and effective lines of communication across the academic team within OEA.
• Directs and manages efforts to increase responsiveness to student concerns.
• Provides leadership in assessing and responding to student concerns.
• Supports the objectives and strategic direction of the leadership team.
• Develops objectives and activities based on department goals.
• Works with the OEA leadership to create and enforce process and procedures to ensure consistency within the medical education program.
• Ensures all academic processes are being met and accurately documented in appropriate systems.
• Meets regularly with the academic teams to review all metrics, assist with analysis and trending of all metrics and outcomes.
• Responsible for compiling, gathering and submitting reporting as determined by the leadership team.
• Manages projects, as assigned, to ensure timely and effective delivery of desired outcomes.
• Oversees and participates in the hiring, training, and evaluation of staff.
• Leads and works cross functionally with internal and external colleagues, including Evaluation and Assessment, Student Affairs, Legal Office, Office of the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs, and other departments/units, as necessary.
• Acts as liaison between department and internal or external customers.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of assigned staff.
Master’s degree in business, higher education or closely related field from an accredited university.
PhD or equivalent terminal degree from an accredited university.
Six (6) years’ experience in educational development, strategic and/or administrative education leadership or experience performing related duties in an academic setting, including supervisory experience.
Experience related to the operations of a medical education program from an accredited university. Experience obtained in higher education setting. LCME accreditation experience and working with undergraduate medical curriculum.
Use of standard office equipment.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. UTRGV is a distributed institution, which requires presence at multiple locations throughout the Rio Grande Valley.
Exceptional planning and organizational skills. Knowledge of current and emerging technology, learning and instructional theory, instructional design principles, design process, and interface design principles. Knowledge of LCME accreditation. Ability to work as a team member and to establish effective working relationships. Ability to effectively use interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commesurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 10/01/2020
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
*Social Security Number
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956)665-8880 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/25842