User Services Consultant, Manager of Help Desk and Equipment Desk
User Services Consultant, Manager of Help Desk and Equipment Desk
Posting Number: R0003257
Location: Salem Campus
Attention Current Willamette University Employees: In order to apply for posted positions, please close this window and log into your Workday account and apply through the Career worklet.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the online application process.
To be considered for employment at Willamette University, please complete our online employment application. Your application and all required attachments -- listed at the bottom of the page -- must be submitted for each individual job post that you are interested in applying for. If there is an application deadline, please ensure that your application is submitted by the deadline. Once you submit your application you will not be able to edit your application.
The User Services Consultant/Manager of Help Desk and Equipment Desk is primarily responsible for providing centralized technology support services and assistance to university faculty, staff and students. Tasks of this position include managing the Help Desk, the Equipment Desk and a team of student employees while maintaining a positive, developmental environment for students to improve their skills in troubleshooting, technology support, and customer service. The incumbent is also responsible for producing both print and web-based user support materials and for providing timely communication to the Willamette community about urgent technology concerns.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manages and operates the Help Desk and other public-facing
support areas. The Help Desk provides phone, email, and walk-in
assistance to all members of the university community with the use
of technology, including computing hardware, software and
networking and serves as an emergency backup for all other User
- Manages the Equipment Desk to provide circulating equipment,
including computers, presentation technology, audio/video, and
specialized equipment. Oversees the delivery, maintenance and
support of circulating equipment to support classroom activities
and events and check-out equipment provided to individuals for
- Maintains the inventory of circulating equipment. Stays
up-to-date with current hardware developments and orders
appropriate new equipment as required.
- Hires, manages, trains and schedules student assistants who
provide Help Desk and other support services from multiple
locations across campus.
- Establishes operational policies and procedures for the Help
Desk and the Equipment Desk.
- Defines and builds a positive work culture for the Help Desk
and Equipment Desk, ensuring that it is a desirable and educational
environment for students, while providing optimal service to the
- Coordinates with cross-functional teams to assess needs and
develop strategies for providing IT service and support.
- Creates and maintains the Help Desk web pages and promotional
materials. Reviews the WITS web site for content accuracy and
usefulness. Creates and maintains web materials as time and
- Manages technical support for events.
- Manages the overall performance of the Help Desk and Equipment
Desk by establishing and monitoring metrics and taking appropriate
action to improve services.
- Serves as a member of the WITS User Services group.
- Continually seeks opportunities to proactively improve the
computing environment at Willamette University.
- Any combination of education, training or experience that
provides the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform
the essential functions of the position.
- Minimum of two years of experience working user services in a
networked computing environment.
- Demonstrated experience creating user documentation.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in:
- Consulting with users on various software, hardware and network
- Operation and trouble-shooting of computers, tablets,
smart-phones and other peripheral devices.
- Support of Microsoft and Apple operating systems.
- Supporting users with applications including but not limited to
Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and Adobe Creative Cloud
- Use and support of a Learning Management System
- Setup and operation of audio-visual technology (microphones and
mixers, recording and streaming equipment, projectors,
- Oversite and scheduling of part-time employees.
- A proven customer service orientation with excellent
interpersonal and communication skills.
- Willingness to work with a broad range of educational
technologies and to remain current in the field.
- A proven ability to make technical issues understandable and an
ability to match technical opportunities to University goals.
Successful clearance of a criminal conviction record
- Demonstrated commitment to equity with experience in providing
support and advocacy for diverse communities.
- A bachelor's degree or two-year college degree plus four years
of experience in a relevant field.
- Experience supporting information technology in higher
- Experience in development of instructional
- Experience programming in one or more modern computer
language(s) and relevant experience beyond the minimum
All University positions require that candidates submit to a criminal conviction record check prior to hire. Conviction does not automatically preclude candidates from being hired. Nature of conviction will be considered relative to the duties of the position.
You will need to upload the following two documents as part of your application materials in the "My Experience" section labeled Resume:
- Cover letter addressing the required/desired qualifications and
presenting any other applicant characteristics which deserve
- Current Resume
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Apply online at https://willamette.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/willametteuniversityjobs/job/Salem-Campus/User-Services-Consultant--Manager-of-Help-Desk-and-Equipment-Desk_R0003257
Believing that diversity contributes to academic excellence and to rich and rewarding communities, WU is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. We seek candidates, particularly those from historically under-represented groups, whose work furthers diversity and who bring to campus varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.