Dean for the College of Science & Humanities
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Establish a shared vision that is consistent with the mission and goals of University and College.
• Initiate and maintain strategic plans for academic programs, schools within the College, and collaborative initiatives with others in the University and external constituents.
• Participate in faculty and institution-wide formal and informal activities which may require evenings and weekends.
• Serve as the public presence and voice of the College before the administration, trustees, and community and assist in development initiatives.
• Increase the College's visibility in the academic and professional communities regionally, nationally and internationally.
• Develop academic policies and programs to foster high academic standards among faculty and students in accordance with University mission and policies.
• Preside over College faculty meetings.
• Participate on Deans' Council and advises the Provost on personnel and academic matters within the College.
• Oversee academic and accreditation matters.
• Oversee class and lab scheduling
• Encourage a climate of student support and success
• Assign advisees and assure appropriate equitable allocation of advising and workload among faculty.
• Provide oversight of the College's instructional programs including leadership in curriculum improvement, innovation, and assessment of student learning.
• Maintain an environment of open communication with all interactions carried out in a professional manner.
• Enhance a culture of diversity and community with faculty, staff and students.
• Providing leadership for the General Education program working in conjunction with the General Education Committee.
• Ensure faculty members fulfill their professional
responsibilities to the University, colleagues, students, and
community and the duties of the academic community at Husson and
• Coordinate with the Provost in matters of hiring and other personnel matters.
• Assure that annual reviews of faculty and staff are conducted and that faculty development plans are followed.
• Working with faculty to develop their approach to scholarship at the University.
Budget and Facility Management:
• Facilitate interaction with admissions, finance, and marketing
to foster a strategic approach to enrollment management.
• Plan and administer the budget for the College to assure effective allocation of resources.
• Oversee purchasing, leasing and tracking of equipment and assets.
• Assist in the development of plans for obtaining and allocated financial resources to meet facility and personnel needs.
• Support the College fundraising and grant-seeking efforts.
• Other duties as may be assigned by the Provost.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.a strong background in a profession related to an area of study within the College;
• a commitment to interdisciplinary practice and teaching;
• demonstrated collaborative management and leadership skills;
• an ability to be a spokesperson and advocate for the College's vision;
• demonstrated experience in accreditation;
• an understanding of professional education and the accreditation requirements;
• a proven ability to attract external funding and support;
• a superior record of scholarship and teaching;
• demonstrated record of effective interpersonal and communication skills;
• demonstrated ability to build strong partnerships with community organizations;
• experience with the development and implementation of outcomes assessment.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Education: PhD or other earned doctorate in a science or
Experience: A minimum of three to five years' administrative experience in academia as a Dean, Assistant or Associate Dean, or Department Chair.
Special Skills: Demonstrated commitment to the highest standards of professionalism, personal integrity, diversity, and excellence in all working relationships. Outstanding analytical abilities, interpersonal communication skills, organizational behaviors and an appropriate knowledge and use of relevant information systems, market research and enrollment strategies. Self-motivated and a strong team player who values hard work and who is capable and confident interacting with a wide array of internal and external constituents. Adaptable to an ever changing educational environment.
A successful candidate in this environment is self-motivated and a strong team player who values hard work and who is capable and confident interacting with a wide array of internal and external constituents. Candidates must be willing to take on new challenges in a dynamic and constantly changing environment.