Staff Assistant (3282)
This position organizes the administration of the Externship Program which services approximately 350 students annually and numerous agencies and organizations in the Washington, DC area. Under minimal supervision of the Externship Program Director, the incumbent develops administrative systems, interacts with students, adjunct faculty, and outside attorneys, and facilitates the institutional and community work of the Director. The incumbent also oversees publications, web pages and databases relating to the program, and has the responsibility for planning and organizing public events. The position requires a thorough knowledge of program policies and procedures and excellent organizational, writing and communication skills.
- Office Management—The incumbent is responsible for management of all administrative aspects of the office including the design and maintenance of several complex information systems. These systems include a computerized database listing of potential externship field placement employers, the approval/registration system which is required of all students enrolled in field placements, the Program’s computerized and hard copy files, materials related to courses including rosters and grade sheets for all externship seminars. New sets of student and course information must be produced and organized each semester, and the computerized field database is updated. Position also monitors the Externship Program web site, ensuring timely updates. Incumbent organizes and maintains various library materials and student records.
- Assistant to the Director—The incumbent provides support to the Director of program. Acts as the main liaison between the Director and faculty, staff, students, other WCL and University programs, and the Washington legal community. Manages the day-to-day operations of the office. Screens calls and mail to determine how they should be directed and has responsibility for responding to them. Acts on the Director’s behalf and in Director’s absence to ensure the continuous smooth operation of program. Supervises work of several part-time employees and student assistants. Tracks and records financial expenditures. May also research potential field placements both within and outside the United States. Provides administrative support for Director’s teaching responsibilities.
- Special Projects and Event Planning—Plans, coordinates and provides administrative support for conferences, meetings and several major annual events sponsored by the Program. Organizes Externship Fair. Working with the Director, the incumbent is responsible for producing internal and external materials, brochures, etc. that promote and support the Externship Program. The incumbent also participates in the conception and execution of new projects designed to promote the program within the local legal community.
- Employer and Faculty Services—Incumbent responds to inquiries from students regarding Program policies and procedures. Provides employers and potential field supervisors with information and assistance in recruiting student externs. Serves as liaison to adjunct faculty providing all assistance as needed, including administrative information, book orders, duplication of class materials, grading and other program policies. Informs faculty of all Program requirements.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Specialist A
Position’s Required Presence (subject to change due to the University’s operating status)
- Allow for full telework
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 2-4 years of relevant experience
- Related office management experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Ability to work with diverse constituencies and to handle multiple tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, planning, and organizational skills
- Knowledge of common office computer applications and web-based applications
- Knowledge of Word and Excel
- Some background in law preferred.
- Knowledge of Access preferred
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.