Web Developer (16299)
WAMU 88.5 is Washington DC’s leading public radio station for NPR news and information. It’s our mission to connect Washingtonians with each other and the world through balanced, enlightening, inspiring and entertaining programs of the highest quality.
This Web Developer maintains both websites and applications used by WAMU audiences and staff and continually updates their features and functionality. This position crafts custom web applications in a decoupled React-based architecture, enhances functionality via custom plugins, and configures and administrates the WordPress Content Management System (CMS) for mission-critical, high-concurrency websites.
- Write code to build and maintain features across various projects.
- Troubleshoot reported problems and debug errors.
- Consult with stakeholders and project managers to comprehend business requirements and inform decision-making.
- Collaborate in feature planning to ensure technical feasibility.
- Deeply assess technical nuances to optimize confidence of effort estimations and influence reliable project timelines.
- Write software tests prior to development to ensure functional adherence to spec.
- Perform quality assurance testing after work is developed or deployed.
- Peer-review code pull requests.
- Prepare and analyze metrics, performance, health monitoring, and other reports.
- Administrate and configure site content, users, and other settings on content management systems.
- Operate and assist with technical needs on various digital platforms, including integrated services, accounts, hosting platforms and servers, CRMs, podcasting platforms, email marketing systems, and analytics services.
- Assess and communicate progress status to managers and team members.
- Document code contributions, critical resources, issue relationships, and other meta information essential to team collaboration, managerial and stakeholder oversight, and long-term project maintainability.
- This is an essential staff position, frequently on-call 24 hours a day
- Required to monitor system alarms and respond to essential email after-hours
- After-hours work required for scheduled systems upgrades and maintenance, delivery and support of special features, and emergency response
- Must be able to work remotely in the event assistance is required after-hours or during inclement weather
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- 35 hours/week
- Team Leader/Consultant B
Position’s Required Presence (subject to change due to the University’s operating status)
- Allow for full telework
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 2-4 years of relevant experience
- Git – Solid fundamentals of modern code management: branching, merging
- CSS – Grasp of responsive/progressive techniques and organizational patterns
- WordPress – Demonstrated experience developing custom themes and plugins
- APIs – Experience working with APIs; creating and consuming web services using JSON, REST
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
The ideal candidate will possess the following personal traits:
- Professional – respectful, inclusive, cooperative, and reliable.
- Problem Solver – an inspired and creative solution-focused mindset.
- Empathetic – ability to experience, evaluate, and communicate about the product as an end-user or stakeholder.
- Efficient – able to influence task estimation and prioritization in a way that promotes practical business needs.
- Methodical – systematic, thorough, and empirical in diagnosis of problems and assessments of state.
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Computer Services & Information Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Technology Administration/Other Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.