Program Assistant, Student Support Services STEM
Posting Number NC00127P Quick Link for Position http://jobs.uafs.edu/postings/1639 Working Title Program Assistant, Student Support Services STEM Position Number 21-26-0015 Department Associate Provost About the University
For more than 6,000 students each semester, the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith offers a dynamic and diverse learning community with a student-centered approach focused on the success of the individual. Small class sizes combine with innovative, hands-on learning and research experiences alongside expert faculty to ensure students receive a future-focused education at the most affordable tuition rate in the state. The university has undergone significant changes since its founding in 1928 and now offers 51 bachelor’s and associate degrees, two master’s degrees, and 36 certificate programs, all aimed at preparing students for success in the global workforce. UAFS is one of 21 academic institutions and affiliates governed by the University of Arkansas System.
The second-largest city in the state, Fort Smith is located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border in the heart of the Arkansas River Valley. Established in 1817 as a frontier military post, Fort Smith is now a vibrant and growing city featuring a variety of cultural activities and entertainment options, including a thriving downtown arts and entertainment district. Outdoors enthusiasts will appreciate the Natural State’s plentiful trails, mountains, forests, parks, and waterways, both within city limits and throughout the surrounding area. The city is also within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis.
The UAFS campus is comprised of 77 buildings and facilities located on 170 beautifully manicured acres and crowned with the Donald W. Reynolds Campus Plaza, Tower, and Campus Green. Students who choose to live on campus may do so in one of two residence hall complexes, complete with a full-service dining center, or the on-campus apartment complex for married students and upperclassmen. Campus involvement is encouraged by participation in more than 100 registered student organizations, which includes academic societies, a dynamic Greek life system, intramural sports, and cultural/special interest groups. The UAFS Lions compete in NCAA Division II Lonestar Conference in men’s baseball, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s basketball, golf, cross country, and tennis.
About the College / Department Position Summary
The program assistant will be a student advocate and campus resource liaison, clerical support for the program and will be a key player in recording the events and data on the students as required by the grant. The position is governed by the policies of the institution. Student Support Services is funded through the Department of Education. The position reports to Director of Student Support Services STEM .
Summary of Job Duties
• Greet and serve program participants. Serve as first line of assistance, student advocate, and connect students with campus resources.
• Maintain files and APP contract on each program participant.
• Provide program information for inquiries about the program.
• Process reports and related information about the program.
• Designs, implements, and presents academic enrichment workshops and study skills handouts for participants.
• Implement and maintain the computerized program tracking system.
• Maintain fiscal records and reports.
• Create and submit reports on results of program activities.
• Provide clerical support for program staff.
• Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork and by providing leadership to subordinates. Requires consistent on-time attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Associate’s degree.
• One year experience in an educational setting.
• Other job-related education and/or experience may be substituted for part of these basic requirements.
Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
License(s)/Certifications Preferred Qualifications
• Three years’ experience in an educational setting.
• Preference given to individuals who have overcome barriers similar to target population.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform the job successfully, the following competencies are required for the essential functions of this position:
• Knowledge and skills in basic computer applications
• Knowledge of scheduling
• Ability to demonstrate excellent interpersonal, oral, written, organizational, and communication skills
• Ability to model study/test-taking skills to help students to succeed
• Ability to present material using verbal, visual, or written methods
• Ability to problem solve and critically think
• Detail oriented and ability to handle myriad of tasks
Special Job Dimensions
Work performed primarily in an office setting. Occasional travel may be required. Extended hours occasionally required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly exhibits digital dexterity when entering data into computer. Required abilities include walking, standing, and sitting for extended periods. Visual demands include close, relatively detailed vision when focusing on a computer screen. Employee regularly talks and hears. Employee occasionally lifts items up to 10 pounds. Continued funding from the Department of Education is dependent on the level of performance of the program in relation to the objectives stated in the grant proposal. Routine office hours 8:00 a.m.to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Routine office hours 8:00 a.m.to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Occasional travel may be required. Extended hours occasionally required
Salary Mid to High 20's, Commensurate with education and experience. Benefits
Competitive benefits package.
Background Check / Pre-Employment Screening
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non- discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Does this position require a background check? Criminal Background Check, Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) Check, and Drug Screening. Position requires employee complete Arkansas Mandated Reporter training prior to employment.
Open Date 09/23/2020 Close Date 10/23/2020 Open Until Filled No Special Instructions to Applicants Anticipated start date EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, dedicated to attracting and supporting diverse student, faculty, and staff populations. The University welcomes applications without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
UA Fort Smith provides equal employment, admission, and educational opportunities without regard to race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, or gender identify. The University abides by all applicable employment laws.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, the University is committed to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees with regard to recruitment, hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, training, fringe benefits and all other aspects of employment.
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial College Transcripts
- Additional Document
- Proof of Veteran Status
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you understand that failure to complete the Employment
History section of the application will result in automatic
- * Did you complete the Employment History section of the
- * Do you understand that failure to upload your unofficial
transcript(s) may result in an incomplete application packet?
- * Did you upload your unofficial transcript(s)?
- * Have you ever been fired or asked to resign from a job?
- If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith