Dean of the Scott L. Carmona College of Business
Saginaw Valley State University seeks
a Dean of the Scott L. Carmona College of
Click here to view position profile: https://summitsearchsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/SVSU_Dean_College_of_Business_Profile.pdf
Location: University Center, Michigan
Reporting directly to the Provost, the Dean is responsible for the leadership and administration of the Carmona College of Business. The Dean will provide exemplary strategic academic and administrative leadership. The College, which is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), is a leader in preparing business professionals and serves as a regional resource for economic development, and benefits from strong support from the regional business community.
- Serve as the Chief Academic Officer of the College of Business.
- Provide vision and strategic direction, assuring program quality and innovation.
- Promote and facilitate interdisciplinary programming and collaboration with the College and across the university.
- Foster an environment that strives for inclusivity and excellence in communication.
- Oversee recruitment, supervision, and professional development of a strong and diverse faculty and staff.
- Manage College budget, course scheduling, and staff.
- Ensure continued accreditation and maintain continuous improvement to meet AACSB standards.
- Engage with the business community, funding agencies, alumni, and other external constituencies.
- Participate in university governance and functions, including service on standing and ad hoc committees.
- Assist the SVSU Foundation with donor cultivation and fund-raising.
- Work with faculty and the Business Excellence Centers in a productive and collaborative manner.
- Earned terminal degree (e.g. Ph.D., DBA) from a regionally accredited institution.
- Evidence of scholarly and professional achievement sufficient for appointment as a professor in one of the programs within the College.
- Significant administrative experience at the level of department chair or higher including fiscal and budgetary responsibility and faculty development preferably within an AACSB institution.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills.
- Experience with academic program development, assessment, and accreditation processes. AACSB accreditation experience is required.
- Demonstrated success with and the ability to work effectively with internal and external constituents including large corporations, family businesses, and other community partners.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural diversity and equal opportunity.
- Evidence of high standards of both professional integrity and ethics.
- Strong commitment to and proven leadership in participatory governance within the university.
- Experience in a collective bargaining setting preferred.
- Knowledge of grant procurement and administration preferred.
About the Institution:
Saginaw Valley State University (SVSU) is one of Michigan’s 15 public colleges and universities and is the youngest institution in the state. Founded in 1963, the university is located on 748 acres approximately six miles from downtown Saginaw located in Kochville Township, Saginaw County, about equidistant from the cities of Saginaw, Midland, and Bay City.
SVSU offers over 100 academic programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels with approximately 8,500 students at its main campus in University Center. SVSU offers programs of study in its five colleges which include Arts and Behavioral Sciences, Business, Health and Human Services, Education and Science, Engineering and Technology.
There are approximately 1,300 staff and faculty working together to enhance the lives of students from 42 different nations. The university also enjoys partnerships around the world, including Japan, China, Taiwan, Ghana, India, Mexico, and Argentina.
SVSU competes athletically in Division II offering programs for men and women in a variety of sports including basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, swimming, and many others. Men’s athletic offerings include the football program while women’s offerings include the softball program. In addition to varsity athletics, there are many club sports allowing students to compete and grow their athletic passion at a collegiate level. Campus recreation programs have encouraged more than 2,000 students to compete in at least one program ranging from personal training to fitness classes to a wide range of intramurals.
Saginaw Valley State University was accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association as a baccalaureate degree-granting institution in 1970. In 1980 the HLC/NCA continued this accreditation and granted accreditation at the master's degree level. In 2013, SVSU added its first doctoral program in nursing. These accreditations have been retained continuously since the original accreditation. SVSU also has ten programs that have been awarded specialized accreditations, including being selected by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching to receive its 2015 Community Engagement Classification, marking SVSU as a university that is exceptionally engaged with the community it serves. To learn more: https://www.svsu.edu/
About the College of Business:
The Scott L. Carmona College of Business offers programs that prepare graduates to move into entry-level positions in a variety of private and public enterprises. Beyond that, the College intends that this academic preparation will create a broad foundation of knowledge and strong communication skills leading to leadership roles, civic contribution, and overall lives that offer meaning and purpose.
The Carmona College of Business offers undergraduate programs in accounting, economics, finance, general business, international business, management, marketing, and supply chain management. Additionally, students can add a minor in entrepreneurship, professional sales, or complete a certificate in family business.
The MBA program is the region’s only AACSB accredited program and offers a highly competitive tuition rate allowing access to a broad audience. The MBA is rated as a “Best Business School” by the Princeton Review and listed among “Best for Vets” by the Military Times. All graduate faculty members have terminal degrees and courses are offered in a classroom, hybrid, and/or online format.
With an annual operating budget of approximately $8.2 million and an endowment of $7.5 million the College enrolls approximately 1,300 students in the degree programs; has 31 faculty members and 2 endowed chairs. The College also offers several endowed student leadership programs.
The Scott L. Carmona College of Business provides students a distinctive business education by integrating academic and experiential learning while challenging students to improve their capacity as professionals, leaders, and entrepreneurs in a dynamic and global environment.
SVSU is Committed to:
- Delivering relevant, interactive, and experiential business education with high academic standards.
- Mentoring and providing students with personal attention.
- Continuously improving faculty intellectual capital through the production of applied and pedagogical research.
- Promoting and developing an understanding of the effective management of ethical issues, social responsibility, and diversity.
- Serving as a regional source for economic development.
Confidential review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled; parties who apply by November 3, 2020, will be given first consideration. Please submit your CV and cover letter outlining your interest in and suitability for this position and provide a list of 5 references. To apply online, go to https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=su210
Saginaw Valley State University is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer: http://www.svsu.edu/diversity/affirmativeaction/