Instructor of the Practice in Mathematics
The Department of Mathematics at Dixie State University (DSU) in St. George, Utah, invites applications for a full-time non-tenure-track Instructor of the Practice position to begin Fall Semester 2021, teaching lower-division mathematics courses. Ability and desire to teach developmental and general education mathematics courses is preferred, including introductory statistics.
The Mathematics Department seeks to help students achieve their academic, career, and life goals, including those related to basic computational skills, mathematical processes, and knowledge that develops real-life applications, modeling and problem solving. Additional information about the department and the degrees offered can be found online at https://math.dixie.edu .
- Teach 30 credits over a broad spectrum of undergraduate mathematics courses, including introductory statistics, per academic year.
- Work with the department chair and other faculty in lower-division course management, including preparation of class offerings and schedules, mentoring part-time instructors (adjunct faculty), and rotating course coordination.
- Hold regular office hours as outlined in academic policy.
- Attend department meetings, vote on department issues, and advise on student assessment as needed.
- Serve on institutional and departmental committees as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Mathematics, Statistics, or related field by August 2021 required.
- Teaching experience in developmental and general education Mathematics in a college setting, dealing with diverse student populations, required.
- Ability and willingness to teach a range of Math content courses, including courses in developmental math.
- Ability to communicate clearly with students, staff, and colleagues, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work well with other faculty, staff, and students.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: Full-time (9-month) non-tenure-track faculty position. Pay & benefits begin July 1, 2021 (service begins in early August). Annual salary of $43,000+, depending on qualifications & experience (paid over 12 months, July – June). Additional compensation available for summer/overload teaching. Excellent benefits package included – see https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/ under “Example of DSU Benefits” for more details.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Application review begins October 26, 2020 ; position open until filled. Candidates must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact information for three professional references (including email addresses), transcripts, and a Student Success Statement (1-2 pages about their teaching or other experience, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population). Please upload all of the requested documents when you submit your application. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and certification of required degrees and upon successfully passing a background check. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: Dixie State University is an open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution committed to exceptional student learning and success. DSU has adopted an instructional approach of "active learning. active life" and a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and staff committed to providing students with an active, applied and career-oriented learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911 as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy access to world-class outdoor recreational opportunities. The nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120 miles) with amenities such as an international airport and professional sporting teams. Click here to learn more about the University.
Dixie State currently has approximately 12,000 students and has been a fast-growing Utah public institution of higher education over the last several years. We offer over 210 programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates, endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. DSU seeks to recruit and retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas, possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic university. DSU is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the President and employees of DSU are fully committed to Affirmative Action and within its programs and activities, including in admissions and employment, Dixie State University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or DSU’s non-discrimination policies:
- Director of Equity Compliance / Title IX Coordinator: Hazel Sainsbury - email@example.com , HCC 579, 435-652-7747.
- Deputy Title IX Coordinator: Abby Del Giacco - firstname.lastname@example.org , 435-652-7731.
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, email@example.com , 800-421-3481.
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, firstname.lastname@example.org , 303-844-5695.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.