CDL Truck Driver Trainer
Posting Job Title
Continuing Education and Organizational Development
Number of openings
Johnson County Community College is seeking experienced CDL Truck Drivers to conduct CDL training classes. JCCC offers commercial truck driver training courses to prepare new drivers for their commercial driver’s license (CDL) Class A. In this role, we instruct people how to properly conduct pre-trip inspections and safely operate a commercial motor vehicle. Positions are located at our CDL training range located at the Logistic Park - Kansas City in Edgerton, KS. Instructors will transport tractor-trailers to CDL training site as needed on evenings and weekends. This is a part-time/contract position. Hiring for weekend CDL instructors. Weekend positions require CDL Trainer to work two or more weekend days per month. Number of work days per month are flexible. Hours are typically between 7 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.
• Teach hands on portion of the Truck Driver Training Program (pre-trip inspection, and behind the wheel training)
• Maintain student files in compliance with JCCC standards
• Maintain Truck Driver Training Program equipment
• Maintain inventory of training supplies
• Work as member of instructional team to improve program and processes.
• Evaluate and grade students throughout the program
• Maintain relationships with employers in the trucking industry
• Shuttle equipment as needed from the truck rental site to our site of instruction or testing sites
• Uses a variety of techniques and technology to actively engage students in the learning process.
• Adapts instruction to various student learning styles.
• Provides feedback to students in attaining course goals and objectives.
• Develops and utilizes a variety of assessment tools to validate course, program and institutional outcomes.
• Maintains clearly stated course outcomes, competencies, instructional methods, and methods of assessment in each course.
Must be able to:
1. Demonstrate excellent communication skills.
2. Demonstrate the ability to use learner centered teaching activities on the range.
3. Demonstrate correctly all the driving and backing exercises.
4. Demonstrate the ability to evaluate, coach and correct student performance
A successful candidate will have the ability to assess student educational potential/need, communicate student progress, apply field experience to range instruction, develop range processes/materials, evaluate student performance, keep records and maintain files, plan and organize, and prepare reports. Our ideal candidates will have proven longevity with previous employers, excellent communication skills, possess demonstrated physical, intellectual and leadership ability to perform duties of over the road, basic skills and range instruction.
High school graduate or equivalent
Must be able to work with a co-facilitator
Must possess a valid CDL-A license with a satisfactory driving record
Must hold a valid DOT medical card
Must be in good health and physically fit and able to stand for 8 or more hours at a time
Background checks with motor vehicle record search will be required before assignment is finalized
Ablility to interact with members of the community to coordinate events and project a positive image of the college at all times
Proficient in Microsoft program applications and a willingness to learn additional software programs
Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
Minimum of one year of successful training experience with adult learners in the transportation field
Minimum of five years truck driving experience
Previous teaching in community college or secondary education
Class A-CDL driving experience with tankers, doubles and triples and hazardous materials endorsements
Required application documents
Resume, cover letter
Hours per Week
Saturdays and Sundays, 8 a.m-5 p.m.
Salary Grade Level
Competitive rate of pay
Overland Park Main Campus
Every employee of the college is expected to treat all members of the college community with dignity and respect demonstrating professional, courteous and respectful behavior and engage in constructive conflict resolution, when needed.
In accordance with the college policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. Individual hiring departments at JCCC may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process. Many departments require those selected for hire to submit a certified transcript for all degrees obtained. For full consideration, applicants are encouraged to apply prior to the review date listed in posting.
Johnson County Community College welcomes the application of any qualified candidate and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, religion, marital status, national origin, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or other factors which cannot be lawfully considered, to the extent specified by applicable federal and state laws.
If you are an applicant requesting assistance or a reasonable accommodation in the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 913-469-3877, or email Hr@jccc.edu.
For a summary of all disclosures (Background check, Clery Act, ADA, EOE, etc.) refer to the links on our Career page.
Advertised: 22 Sep 2020 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: 14 Dec 2020 Central Standard Time