Student Success Specialist, Student Support Services
The Student Success Specialist is the primary student contact for support services. This position will provide wraparound support services to help students persist and graduate in a timely manner. The activities include services for newly enrolled, second year, and continuing students in the following categories: academic/major advising and course planning, college transition, academic coaching, financial counseling, personal skill building, and career support. The Student Success Specialist will report to the Director of Student Support Services (SSS).
Duties include: work directly with students to develop an educational plan with a clear pathway to graduation; provide effective personal, major advising, career guidance, and financial advising through a range of approaches, including individual, drop-in, and groups; monitor and track academic progress of students; provide advising and course planning to SSS students; provide information on the FAFSA process, financial counseling, and scholarship resources; organize, coordinate, lead, and evaluate workshops and activities related to student success including time management, stress-management, career exploration, financial literacy, and other topics; connect students to appropriate staff members, campus services, and community resources; advocate for students on matters such as appeals, re-admission, holds, and letters of recommendation; implement programming that targets newly enrolled and second-year students; prepare and facilitate sessions on non-cognitive skills including leadership, academic behaviors, self-regulation, self-advocacy, perseverance, and other related topics; provide general support and advocacy for students receiving accommodations in adherence with the Americans with Disabilities Act; develop and implement value-added student activities such as cultural activities and social events; assist with the collection of data related to student outcomes within all platforms including SSC Campus, Banner, and Blumen; compile interim reports and event evaluations; and perform other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Knowledge of obstacles facing SSS-eligible students
- Ability to relate to individuals from diverse social, economic, and cultural backgrounds
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Strong listening, verbal, and written skills
- Ability to facilitate discussions among students
- Strong critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making skills
- Ability to maintain accurate, complete, and confidential student records
- Ability to work independently as well as a team player within the department and with others
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of students and staff
- Ability to adapt to change and periods of fast-paced, high-intensity work situations
Review of applications will begin on October 2, 2020 and continue until the position is filled. Applications received by this date will receive priority consideration.
Bachelor's degree in Social Work, Education, Psychology, Counseling, or related field; and 2-3 years experience in a service-oriented environment or university setting.
Master's degree in Social Work, Education, Psychology, Counseling, or related field; two years experience in university academic advising; experience working and participating with a TRIO program; knowledge of student information systems; and knowledge of advising theories and retention best practices.
The University of Tennessee Chattanooga is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Chattanooga
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Chattanooga
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Chattanooga
- Counseling Not specified Full Time jobs in Chattanooga
- Disabled Student Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Chattanooga