Computer Operator I
Computer Operator I
UFIT is looking for a self-motivated and eager learner with excellent oral and written communication skills who is adaptable to a changing work environment and requirements to assess and provide technical solutions to meet the needs of business users.
This position will be responsible for monitoring and reporting on the status and operations of the data center infrastructure; scheduling/unscheduling critical batch processes for the university, assist as needed on Single Operations Center tasks and escalations and assist with UF Help Desk customer calls.
After completion of the probationary training period, this person may be scheduled and should be available to work on the weekends and holidays. The Single Operations Center schedule is highly variable and split between three shifts. The individual will be scheduled for the shift needed.
The candidate must have reliable transportation and must be able to pass a background check and provide references. Some key responsibilities and characteristics of this position are:
- Monitor the status and operations of computing and networking systems and provided services for UFIT. This leads to reporting and escalating any incidents to con-call support teams or service owners.
- Monitor the status and operation of Data Center facilities’ infrastructure and communication infrastructure buildings (CIBs) located throughout campus.
- Actively monitor and address service requests around key processes/jobs that may require modification or notification per according instructions
- Conduct routine inspections on equipment and report any abnormalities.
- Assist UF Help Desk customers after hours (as needed).
- Assist in the maintenance and upkeep of the Single Operations Center documentation repository.
The UF Information Technology division is comprised of seven departments reporting to the Vice President & Chief Information Officer. The departments reporting directly to the VP & CIO are: Academic Technology, Research Computing, Infrastructure & Communications Technology, Enterprise Systems, Information Security Office, and the UFIT Business Center. With established governance advisory committees and a set of well-defined, transparent processes aiding decision-making, UFIT strives to provide exceptional IT services in support of UF’s mission. For more information about UFIT and its goals and governance, visit: http://www.it.ufl.edu/vp-cio-office/strategic-plan/ .
Learn more about UFIT at https://it.ufl.edu/ and @GoGatorsUFIT.
About the University of Florida
UF is one of the nation’s top universities and a dynamic and rewarding place to work. The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of its commitment to serve a diverse global community. Plus, UF is in Gainesville, one of Florida’s most livable cities. Known for its natural attractions (wetlands, forests, springs, wildlife) and cultural offerings (music, theater, visual arts, and historic districts), the area also is gaining a reputation as a thriving hub for high-tech start-ups, as well as invention and research collaborations. We are excited about what’s happening here and know you will want to be a part of it.
Diversity and inclusivity make our institution and our community better. We value the fresh ideas and unique perspectives a diverse group of people provides. Achieving a top-5 public university ranking means we make it a priority to employ and work with people from many backgrounds, cultures, abilities, and ethnicities to discover new ways to leverage technology for teaching and learning, research, and the business needs of a comprehensive land-grant institution. Expected Salary:
$15.00-$16.05/hour; commensurate based on education and experience. In addition, the University of Florida offers a very competitive benefits package.
To qualify, the applicant must have completed an Associate’s degree; or have a high school diploma, or equivalent, and have two (2) years of relevant experience.
Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience, but does negate the minimum degree or diploma requirement.
The ideal candidate will possess a Bachelor’s degree and/or a few year’s experience working in an operations center, or equivalent Information Technology support center and have familiarity with;
- Modern computing and networking terms and concepts (including general data networking and Microsoft (MS) Windows operating systems)
- System or Network Monitoring
- Incident Ticketing System
Preferred skills, expertise and experience:
- Process information logically
- Flexible work style
- Work in open workspace environment
To be successful in this position, the incumbent must:
- Take initiative and complete tasks efficiently
- Have excellent customer service skills
- Be able to work day, evening or night shifts (as needed)
Applicants are requested to submit with their application:
- Cover Letter
- Resume and/or CV
- Professional References (Minimum of 3)
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. of the posting end date.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
Health Assessment Required: No
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge