Assistant Director of Admissions and Information Systems
Work type: Permanent Full Time
Location: Bellingham, WA
Categories: Enrollment & Student Services
The division of Enrollment and Student Services and the Office of Admissions support Western's mission, which states that together with our students, staff, and faculty, we are committed to making a positive impact in the state and the world with a shared focus on academic excellence and inclusive achievement. We encourage applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, and other candidates from underrepresented backgrounds and with diverse experiences interested in this opportunity.
The mission of WWU's Office of Admissions is to identify, attract, admit, and help enroll today’s brightest scholars and most promising future leaders. We will counsel and evaluate prospective students as individuals with unique strengths, needs, and paths as we build an increasingly diverse, talented, and dynamic student body.About the Position
Reporting to the Director of Admissions, the Assistant Director of Admissions Systems oversees the entire range of technology functions of the Office of Admissions (with the exception of web design and development). The position manages systems and operations that support critical areas of recruitment, applications, enrollment, and communications. This position cultivates and supports strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders in order to maximize on the opportunities and address the challenges associated with integrating technical systems. Opportunities exist through the adoption of best practices, maximization of efficiencies, streamlining of processes, and enhancement of staff skills. The Assistant Director’s work will have a direct impact on the recruitment-to-enrollment continuum of prospective students of various types—first-year (freshmen), transfer, domestic, international, post-baccalaureate, certificate, graduate, and returning—and for programs based in Bellingham and other locations.
Position Duties / Responsibilities
Lead the planning, development, integration, and deployment of
technological products, strategies and tactics. (50%)
- Manage admissions and recruitment related development, implementation and coordination of systems, including Slate, Banner, Data Transfer, Hyland OnBase, College Board's Student Search Service, National Student Clearinghouse, and other tools and products essential to student recruitment and enrollment.
- Oversee operations and testing of system processing in Admissions. Consult and work with system users and Enterprise Application Services (EAS) to evaluate, schedule production implementation of each new release, monitor and verify success of installation, overseeing the testing and debugging as needed.
- Lead maintenance and testing of Banner processes and upgrades related to admissions, scholarship awards, articulation of transfer credits.
- Oversee and coordinate in-office and cross campus training efforts related to admissions data (e.g. Departmental liaisons, Honors Program, University Residences, Enterprise Application Systems).
- Consult and work with system users, Enterprise Application Systems (EAS), Enterprise Infrastructure Services (EIS) and Administrative Computing Services (ACS) to evaluate, design and implement local modifications to the vendor code, schedule production implementation of each new release; monitor, verify the success of each installation.
- Develop project scope for new systems implementations in coordination with the Project Management Office and collaborate in the planning, scheduling, task assignment, staff coverage, and project progress monitoring to ensure completion.
- Write database queries to retrieve data from Banner, Slate, data warehouse tables to provide statistical data and inform reporting for tactical operations (e.g. workflow progress reports; error reports) as well as strategic enrollment management (e.g. longitudinal admissions funnel; territory management).
- Identify third-party vendors to support fulfillment of enrollment goals; write proposals and identify budget requirements.
- Serve as Admissions point-person to communicate with software vendors and partners.
- Actively research general technology and industry-specific trends.
Data Custodianship and Training (25%)
- Serve as a data custodian for undergraduate admissions which includes access and security administration for Banner, Slate, NolijWeb, DataTransfer, College Board and undergraduate admissions, inquiry and prospect data warehouse tables.
- Assist in analysis and development of scholarship and waiver allocations and awarding plan annually with the Office of Admissions scholarship committee (comprised of Associate VP of Enrollment Management, Assistant VP of Enrollment & Student Services, Associate Director of Admissions, Associate Director of Admissions, and Management Analyst 4).
- Analyze current procedures and standards; recommend new or revised procedures compatible with design of related systems. Ensure that applications or modifications are consistent with the overall direction and goals of the university, meet regulatory requirements and compatible with other university applications.
- Coordinate in-office and cross-campus training efforts related to admissions data (e.g. departmental admissions liaisons, Student Outreach Services, New Student Programs, etc.).
Supervision and Leadership (20%)
- Provide leadership to Admissions and University partners who support technology projects related to recruitment and enrollment, including: informing of trends; identifying needs; recommending solutions; supporting project management of systems integrations.
- Supervise, direct, and support to three Systems Team staff:
- IT Business Analyst
- Management Analyst 4
- Program Specialist 2
Other Duties as Assigned (5%)
- Serve as backup to direct reports, completing requests as needed.
- Serve as a resource to others within the Division and University as it relates to technologies associated with student recruitment and enrollment.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and professional experience
- Extensive understanding of software systems such as ERP (enterprise resource planning) and related tables in the areas of Admissions, Recruitment, Transfer Articulation or equivalent
- Working knowledge and understanding of CRM systems
- Working knowledge of MS Windows suite, database concepts, table structure, naming conventions, SQLDeveloper or other SQL editors
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing access, diversity, equity and inclusion efforts in higher education and/or the workplace setting
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with a diverse group of colleagues, partners, and stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to train others effectively and possess a working knowledge of the software that supports their program responsibilities
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple requests under pressure and within time constraints
- Demonstrated experience in keeping abreast of emerging technology trends and best practices
- Experience supervising staff
- Experience with Slate Technolutions CRM
- Knowledge and understanding of how other aspects of the Student software systems impact and are impacted by Admissions software systems
- Working experience with Ellucian Banner ERP software in the following areas: Admissions, Transfer Articulation and Recruit. Broad-spectrum knowledge of Banner’s Student and General modules.
- Familiarity with NolijWeb, Data Transfer, and Hyland OnBas
- Familiarity with College Board tools (Enrollment Planning Service, Student Search Service, Segment Analysis Service)
- Professional communications project management experience
- Experience developing annual IT budget for hardware, software, staffing, training and future projects
- Familiarity with the enrollment funnel and desired outcomes throughout the process
A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications, including your demonstrated commitment to advancing access, diversity, equity and inclusion efforts in higher education and/or the workplace setting.
Please include the names and contact information of three professional references.Closing Date Notes Position closes Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 11:55pm
Western Washington University (WWU) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, WWU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. See WWU’s Policy on Ensuring Equal Opportunity and Prohibiting Discrimination and Retaliation. Inquiries may be directed to the Office of Civil Rights and Title IX Compliance, Title IX and ADA Coordinator, Western Washington University, Old Main 345 (MS 9021), 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360.650.3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); email@example.com
WWU is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request an accommodation, please contact Human Resources Disability Services, 360.650.3774 or 711 (Washington Relay).
Annual Security and Fire Safety Report: This report is provided pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act ("The Clery Act"). It includes statistics for the previous three calendar years concerning reported crimes that occurred on Western's campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Western; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, such as policies concerning alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. You can obtain a copy of this report in printed or alternate formats by contacting the Office of the Vice President for Enrollment and Student Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. The report can be found at: Annual Security and Fire Safety Report.
All new employees must comply with the immunization policy and show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service before beginning work at WWU. A thorough background check will be conducted on all new hires.
Job no: 498052
Advertised: Sep 18 2020 09:00 Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Oct 18 2020 23:55 Pacific Daylight Time