Job Description Summary
Under direction of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs (West Virginia State University), the IR Data Analyst will work with and under the direction of the Director for Institutional Research and Assessment will plan, develop, coordinate, and implement the college's institutional research and assessment program, and perform related administrative duties, as required.
This is a non-classified position reporting directly to the Director for Institutional Research and Assessment.
. General Duties, Responsibilities and Objectives
- Establish project scope, goals, metrics/KPIs
- Research and identify internal and external data sets, current research/knowledge sources and best practices relevant to current and future projects.
- Regularly perform data discovery. Identifying and recommending additional sources of internal and external data supporting current and future projects.
- Collection and Preparation
- Manage the acquisition, storage and utilization of internal and external data sets.
- Develop and maintain databases, data collection systems, data analytics and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality.
- Validate, transform and otherwise prepare data for analysis.
- Analysis and Reporting
- Use appropriate statistical methods to analyze data and create useful and sometimes complex reports and dashboards.
- Where appropriate,
- Where appropriate, use data mining, machine learning and advanced statistical methods to gain insights, actionable information and measurable outcomes.
- Incorporates the four types of data analytics: descriptive, diagnostic, predictive and prescriptive, into all projects where appropriate.
- Create dashboards and other data visualizations to track progress towards goals, inform student success and institutional improvement with appropriate KPIs and metrics.
- Support and recommend long-term RSP projects such as creating models that depict trends in student success, enrollment trends, academic programs, financial, student financial aid, program demand, retention and graduation, establishing metrics, KPIs and others.
- Recommend “out of the box” analysis and projects based on collected data, institutional goals, current and future opportunities and threats.
- General Responsibilities
- Work with Deans, Department Chairs, Directors and other stakeholders in asking questions, prioritizing needs, identifying and analyzing data, interpreting results and adapting appropriate performance metrics/KPI.
- Support initiatives identifying data integrity issues, negotiating solutions and training end users to increase data accuracy.
- Provide support, guidance and collaboration with team members to identify new data sources, data collection, and facilitate data usage.
- Evaluate current software components and make recommendations.
- Data science is a broad field. Often individuals have an interest or expertise in related fields not directly applicable to their primary position. In addition to the primary responsibilities outlined above, this position will have the opportunity to utilize skills/interest in any of the following fields: Data Visualization, Big, Data, Economic and Geospatial Intelligence, Business and Financial Intelligence or Qualitative Intelligence.
Knowledge and Skills
- A Master's degree in Analytics, Statistics, MIS, Business Intelligence, Actuary Science or other analytical discipline from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in an analytic field. Experience in Higher Education preferred.
- Strong analytical skills. Able to make logical sense of complex issues.
- Excellent communication and documentation skills.
- Works closely with and communicates effectively with users and stakeholders.
- Highly organized. Able to prioritize projects and requests.
- Works well in a team environment, yet able to work effectively on their own for extended periods.
- Follows Agile development methodology for timely and precise delivery of products for end users.
- Software and Analytic tools
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Access and Excel
- Intermediate knowledge of SQL programing Language
- Intermediate knowledge of SPSS, Python, R or other statistical software
- Working knowledge of SQL Server Management Studio
- Working knowledge of another language and its libraries. Python preferred
- Knowledge of or experience with Salesforce and Einstein
- Knowledge of ERP systems. Jenzabar preferred.
- Broad understanding of Information Systems.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus, operated a computer keyboard, and communicate over the telephone and in person. Regularly lifts, carries, and /or moves objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Closing Date: October 23, 2020.
Please send cover letter, resume, unofficial transcript, and recent letters of recommendation from three professional references with contact information to:
Search Committee Chair, Data Analyst
West Virginia State University Research and Development, Corporation, POB 1000, 201 ACEOP Administration Building,
Institute, WV 25112.
PREFERRED: Information accepted as e-mailed in Word or PDF format to
West Virginia State University is an equal opportunity affirmative action institution. No person shall be denied admission to educational programs, activities or employment on the basis of any legally protected status, or be subjected to prohibited discrimination involving, but not limited to, such factors as race color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
West Virginia State University is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation contact: Carla Boggess, 304-766-4278 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Concerns and complaints related to bias or equal opportunity in education and in employment based on aspects of diversity protected under federal, state, and local law, or arising under Title IX should be directed to: email@example.com
Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Apply for Data Analyst
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly