Senior Software Engineer - (INF00000087)
This position reports to the Director of Systems Services. The successful candidate will serve as a member of a growing team managing core technologies seen as strategically important to SMU’s ongoing digital transformation.
The right individual will be in on the ground floor as the team upgrades the entire architecture. They will participate as a member of a passionate, highly skilled, collaborative team devoted to the design, integration, and operation of mission-critical applications.
The ideal candidate will be a technical leader, able to support systems in a complex higher education environment with broad reach and depth of experience.
Opportunities with this position range from ensuring operational reliability to developing recommendations and procedures that contribute directly to long-term strategy and service delivery.
This position is involved with enterprise solutions that impact both end users and application owners, with the overall result of process improvement. It has potential to work collaboratively on large IT projects, even with peer universities.
The assignments are broad in nature, usually requiring originality and ingenuity at a high level. The position has appreciable latitude for independent decision making.
- Assumes ownership and accountability for core software technologies as the team works to grow the identity management program.
- Designs and writes programs or scripts to integrate, automate, optimize, and/or simplify systems-related tasks, and develops documentation about them.
- Installs, configures, and maintains related system components.
- Provides technical advice and consultation to support teams, IT staff, and the SMU community in regards computing and system challenges related to identity & access management.
- Prepares administrative and end user documentation and presentations.
- Other projects, initiatives, and duties, as assigned.
A Bachelor's degree and a minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience is required for the role. A Master's degree in the areas of computer science, management, or data science is preferred.
Certifications may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience. Industry certification with directly related experience may be substituted for the degree requirements depending on the level of certification & experience.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The ideal candidate will have:
- Demonstrative examples indicating learning new technology skills.
- Ability to apply knowledge and experience with critical thinking.
- Strong interest in and energy for problem solving and troubleshooting.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills with ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to adapt readily to changing priorities in a multitasking environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to communicate technical matters to users with varying experience levels.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Experience with integration, configuration, and optimization of enterprise-level applications.
- Experience creating, analyzing, testing, and debugging scripts.
- Experience writing scripts for Linux operating systems and/or for Windows operating systems.
- Experience with version control software, such as Subversion, Git or Mercurial.
- Experience with the configuration and administration of Java-based servlet containers, such as Apache Tomcat or Jetty.
- Experience creating systems design flowcharts that conform to common standards.
- Demonstrated ability to lead technical projects and successfully meet deadlines.
- Strong understanding of IAM concepts, including directory services (OpenLDAP, Active Directory, Azure Active Directory), and identity management solutions (Shibboleth, COmanage, Grouper, midPoint, SailPoint).
- Experience working with authentication, authorization, and/or credential systems.
- Experience analyzing, documenting, and improving business processes.
- Production experience with relational databases.
This position is open until filled.