The Division of Congenital Heart Surgery at Texas Children's Hospital/Baylor College of Medicine is seeking a highly motivated Research Associate to conduct clinical outcomes research in pediatric cardiovascular surgery. This is an opportunity for a self-driven, curious and enthusiastic individual to contribute to a growing surgical research program within the interdisciplinary Texas Children's Heart Center, with broad scope for collaboration with faculty and staff within Pediatric Cardiology, Cardiovascular Anesthesiology, and Cardiovascular Critical Care Medicine. The appointee will participate in clinical outcomes study design, data collection and multivariate analysis; preparation and publication of research manuscripts; present research at local and national meetings; attend relevant departmental and institutional seminars (including grand rounds); and complete didactic training in cardiovascular core curriculum, qualitative and quantitative clinical research methodology, and responsible conduct of human subjects research. Opportunity exists to pursue formal training in Data Science and Epidemiology through non-degree academic programs available through the University of Texas School of Public Health, with tuition support provided. A research mentor will be appointed to help guide project development and establish a research plan for the training period.
The ideal candidate will have experience in clinical outcomes research methodology, biostatistical multivariate analysis, manuscript preparation, and strong clinical research interest in pediatric cardiovascular surgery. Appointment will be funded for an initial two-year period with possibility of extension at the Department's discretion.
- Plans, directs and conducts research experiments.
- Evaluates and analyzes data.
- Develops research techniques and performs applications required for specific research projects.
- May conduct literature searches and summarize information in an appropriate format for a particular study.
- Documents results of experiments and reports to principal investigators.
- May supervise, schedule and coordinate the activities of less experienced research staff.
- Master's degree in Basic Science or a related field. Experience in lieu of degree will not be accepted.
- Three years of relevant experience typically as a Research Assistant, Research Technician or Postdoctoral Fellow/Associate.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team is essential.
- E xcellent organizational and written/oral communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and commitments simultaneously.
- Ability to prioritize task completion to meet deadlines.
- Strong clinical research interest in pediatric cardiovascular surgery.
- Prior clinical research experience, and familiarity with fundamentals of biostatistical multivariate data analysis highly desirable.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.