Learning Specialist (part time)
To create a Posting, first complete the information on this screen, then click the 'Next' button or select the page in the left hand navigation menu. Proceed through all sections completing all necessary information. To submit the Posting to Human Resources, you must go to the 'Posting Summary Page' by clicking on the 'Next' button until you reach the Posting Summary Page or select Posting Summary Page from the left navigation menu. Once a summary page appears, hover your mouse over the orange Action button for a list of possible approval step options.
Working Title Learning Specialist (part time) Department Intercollegiate Athletics Compensation Title Position Number 30018927 Position Status Temporary Work Schedule
10-15 hours per week
Varies based on student-athletes class and practice schedules.
Hours per Week 10 Months per Year 9 Commitment to Inclusive Excellence
Northern Kentucky University is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action institution. We embrace inclusiveness, equity, and global awareness in all dimensions of our work and seek excellence through diversity among our students, administrators, faculty, and staff. Application by members of diverse groups is encouraged.
Purpose of Position
The Learning Specialist will work in the Athletics Academic Services area within Northern Kentucky University’s intercollegiate athletics program.
The Learning Specialist will work with the NKU student-athletes with special academic needs and will provide individualized attention by primarily working with those student-athletes in a one-on-one environment.
The Learning Specialist will help these student-athletes make a successful academic transition to college by teaching them time management, study, note-taking, test-taking and reading skills and help develop them into self-sufficient learners.
Note: No benefits provided with this position.
1. Assist academic advisors in identifying student-athletes with academic concerns.
2. Work with student-athletes who have special academic needs, including student-athletes with learning disabilities and/or student-athletes who are academically under-prepared.
3. Develop, coordinate and implement individualized academic support plans with a specific caseload of students, including assessment and evaluation of individual students to determine learning needs and additional support.
4. Assist students in developing effective study skills and habits in the areas of time management, learning style, critical reading, note-taking, test-taking, etc.
5. Track the academic requirements for the student-athletes’ courses, which can include collection of syllabi, use of calendars, weekly and daily objectives.
6. Monitor the student-athletes academic progress.
7. Prepare weekly summary reports and updates for academic advisors and Associate Athletic Director for Compliance and Student Services.
8. Maintain confidentiality of student-athlete files.
9. Efficiently operate a personal computer and associated software (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc); Virtual Learning Platforms (Zoom, Microsoft Teams); and Canvas.
Masters Degree; Experience in advising, counseling or teaching environment; Experience with students with learning disabilities; Experience with collegiate student-athletes; 3 years of experience in Advising, Counseling or teaching environment.
Any candidate who is offered this position will be required to go through a pre-employment criminal background check as mandated by state law.
Resume review will begin immediately.
Minimum Education Bachelor's Degree Preferred Education Master's Degree Minimum Experience Less than 1 year Salary tbd Pay Grade S67
Requisition Number 2020S1259 Job Open Date 09/21/2020 Job Close Date 10/11/2020 Open Until Filled No Quick Link http://jobs.nku.edu/postings/9644 Is this an internal only posting? Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- NKU Jobs Site
- Inside Higher Ed
- Employee Referral
- * This is a part-time position. Are you willing to work
- No response
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application