Public Health Lecturer Pool
The Department of Public Health and Recreation (PHR) at SJSU is a multidisciplinary academic department that awards B.S. degrees in Public Health and Recreation, and a Master of Public Health (MPH) degree. The PHR Department is one of the largest and fastest growing departments within the College of Health and Human Sciences . As highlighted within the department strategic plan, our vision is that "We aspire to be innovators and leaders in learning and teaching, scholarship, and professional practice to ignite social change towards a more vibrant, prosperous, and just world where the optimal health and wellbeing of individuals and communities are achieved and sustained."
With our slogan of “Achieving Health and Wellbeing for All,” we are committed to preparing leaders who promote health and improve the environments in which we live, work, learn, and play. We strive to embrace a Teacher-Scholar-Practitioner Model through student, alumni, faculty, and community engagement to advance practices in public health and recreation fields. Specifically, our Public Health programs consist of concentrations in Community Health Education (CHE) at both undergraduate and graduate levels, as well as Population Data Science (PDS) at an undergraduate level. Course descriptions for the undergraduate and graduate public health programs can be found here .
Brief Description of Duties
- Teach courses in undergraduate and/or graduate Public Health programs;
- Participates in ongoing assessment of general education and student learning objectives and program outcomes, continuous improvement of teaching and learning, and adherence to all Council on Education in Public Health (CEPH) accreditation requirements;
- Work collaboratively with colleagues on public health curriculum-related processes such as teaching multi-section courses to ensure the quality, rigor, relevance, and consistency of our curricula;
- Attend mandatory meetings and training sessions as required;
- Candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation – through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
- All Faculty should be organizing their classes within the
Canvas Learning Management System (LMS), the official LMS provided
for the SJSU community. All classes at SJSU, whether online or not,
must be anchored in the Canvas platform to ensure faculty-student
connection in a common space as all students are directed to log in
to Canvas for online access to their classes. You will have access
to this system prior to the semester start date.
- Master’s degree in public health or closely related field;
- Minimum two years’ professional experience in public health or closely related field;
- Commitment to teaching excellence in public health-related subject areas; and
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to educational goals
of diverse student populations as might have been gained in
education, training, teaching, professional involvement, and other
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness in health-related subject areas at university or college levels;
- Leadership or supervisory professional experience in public health or closely related field; and
- Ability to effectively design, teach, and assess undergraduate
and graduate courses in-person, online, and in hybrid
Please be advised that an appointment is contingent upon budget and enrollment considerations and subject to order of assignment provisions in the collective bargaining agreement between California State University and California Faculty Association. These provisions state the “Order of Work,” or the order in which available courses must be assigned to faculty, starting with tenure line faculty and ending with new lecturer appointees.
Salary Range - To commensurate with experience.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Expertise, including professional experience, courses you are qualified to teach
- List of References
This is a continuing open position.
San José State University enrolls over 35,700 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. As such, this position is for scholars interested in a career at a national leader in graduating URM students. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution; 40% of our students are first-generation, and 38% are Pell-qualified. The university is currently ranked fifth nationally in increasing student upward mobility. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San José State University is California’s oldest institution of public higher learning. Located in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000) in the heart of Silicon Valley, SJSU is part of one of the most innovative regions in the world. As Silicon Valley’s public university, SJSU combines dynamic teaching, research, and university-industry experiences to prepare students to address the biggest problems facing society. SJSU is a member of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Advertised: September 21, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Public Administration & Policy Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose