Major Gift Officer
CDU Strives for EXCELLENCE! Join a team of diverse professionals and start your career today with Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science. We are seeking extraordinary and dedicated individuals to achieve the mission that drives us all: to cultivate diverse health professional leaders are dedicated to social justice and health equity for underserved populations…. As a member of CDU faculty, or staff you’ll achieve EXCELLENCE in a welcoming community of passionate medical school professionals.
At CDU we are seeking a talented Major Gift Officer.
The Major Gift Officer will be responsible for prospect research, solicitation strategy, cultivation, donor outreach, gift proposal development, reporting and stewardship as well as making direct gift solicitations. The position will also support other fundraising initiatives as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Expand and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders in the philanthropic community, donors, and peers
- Support and lead efforts of subordinate staff and coordinate Board of Directors to execute long-term fundraising
- Represent the University to key prospects and at key events in defined geographic areas.
Donor Prospecting and Solicitation
- Research, qualify and cultivate new institutional and individual giving prospects
- Manage a portfolio of donors including serving as primary solicitor as appropriate
- Establish cultivation strategy and manage stakeholder substantive involvement for donors in the major gifts cycle
- Cultivate and maintain strong relations to support organization-wide efforts in philanthropic community
- Research, identify and cultivate new foundation and major gift prospects
Information Management and Donor Stewardship
- Maintain existing donor/partner relationships
- Conduct donor briefings and updates
- Establish, track and assess major gifts and foundation fundraising metrics
- Prepare thorough, accurate, and concisely written research reports, which may include biographical and financial information, potential for philanthropic support, areas of interest, affiliations on individuals, and research on corporations and foundations
Special Projects & Initiatives
- Manage/augment fundraising projects on an as-need basis
- Plan specialized development projects
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree from an accredited university in a relevant field or equivalent experience working in a complex university setting.
- Demonstrated track record in securing and managing 6- and 7-figure foundation and private sector grants OR managing a multi-year blended campaign
- Five to seven years of experience of fundraising experience in major gifts.
- At least five years of non-profit fundraising experience, preferably with a significant experience in major gifts, multi-year fundraising campaigns, and foundation relations.
- Thorough background in fundraising best practices and experience in Raisers Edge database management for donor and solicitation records.
- Broad knowledge of the principles and practices of annual giving and major gift fundraising.
- Highly developed interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with the campus community and external customers.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to provide leadership in gift solicitation.
- Ability to recruit, motivate and encourage volunteers.
- Ability to listen effectively to discern donors’ interests and concerns.
- Ability to travel locally
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse community.
For more information and to apply, https://jobs.cdrewu.edu/postings/3637
At Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, our employees' well-being is important to us. CDU continues to offer health and wellness benefits to help employees stay healthy and provide financial protection against high medical costs. The program incorporates a variety of benefit plans from which employees can choose. The following summary provides a brief overview and high level summary of the benefits that may be available as a member of the faculty or staff working at least 20 hours per week in a regular or conditional position at Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science. For more information, visit https://www.cdrewu.edu/academics/facultystaff/Offices/Benefits
Charles R. Drew University is an Equal Opportunity Employer