Director of Instructional Design
Through a strong on-campus presence, the individual serves as instructional designer, oversees the development and delivery of distance courses, and facilitates the development of innovative pedagogy. Responsibilities include the coordination of online courses and programs in collaboration with various academic departments and faculty, to ensure support of online delivery and availability of student support services for distance students.
Characteristics, Duties, and Responsibilities:
- Oversees online course development, course evaluation, equivalency charts, online teaching certification program and tracking.
- Supports the development of distance courses and programs.
- Works with academic divisions and faculty as instructional designer for distance education courses.
- Collaborates with faculty to integrate innovative instructional approaches for distance learning courses and programs.
- Provides detailed reporting on enrollment, instructor performance, LMS usage, and other metrics as required.
- Administers campus-wide software such as Canvas Conferences, Dropout Detective, Instructor Insight, Proctortrack, Unicheck, and Webex.
- Works closely with IT to ensure necessary hardware and technical support for distance delivery of courses.
- Remains current with advances in distance learning in order to evaluate and improve the distance learning program.
- Conducts regular meetings with faculty teaching in the various distance-learning modes.
- Ensures that staffing and scheduling of courses meet student needs in the various programs.
- Works with student support services to ensure that appropriate services are available at a distance: e.g. admissions, registration, counseling, tutoring, library, and other services as needed.
- Participates in the development of brochures, catalogs, and other marketing efforts promoting distance learning programs and courses at Union County College.
- Coordinates the Professional Development Institute.
- Supervises and evaluates distance learning staff.
- Develops and monitors assigned budget.
- Advances the College by continuously improving and expanding Web-based resources for distance learning initiatives.
- Chairs and participates in relevant committees.
- Attends college meetings as recommended.
- Participates in local, state, and national organizations dealing with distance learning.
- Works with organizations and agencies outside the College to ensure that distance programs are consistent with community and business needs.
- Works flexible schedule as required including additional hours during peak periods.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Instructional Technology, CIS, MIS, or related field required.
- Minimum of three years of experience at the college level including online instructional design and online course development and delivery.
- Knowledge of and exhibited proficiency in the use of distance learning technology.
- Administrative Learning Management System experience required, preferably Canvas.
Competencies and Skills Required:
- Must possess ability to work within deadlines.
- Must possess ability to multi-task with effectiveness
- Must possess and exhibit ability to work with others to achieve a goal.
- Must possess ability to see global applications of distance education both within and beyond the institution.
- Must possess valid driver’s license.
Terms of Employment:
Full Time. Employee must establish primary residency in New Jersey within one year of appointment unless an exemption applies.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- This position’s duties are normally performed in a typical interior/residence work environment, based on the activity scheduled.
- Some physical effort required; however, the employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- Some travel required.
Union County College does not discriminate and prohibits discrimination, as required by state and/or federal law, in all programs and activities, including employment and access to its career and technical programs.
Union County College is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected
Disclaimer: This job description outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Competitive Full Time jobs in Cranford
- Academic Affairs Administrative Competitive Full Time jobs in Cranford
- Curriculum & Instructional Development Administrative Competitive Full Time jobs in Cranford
- Distance Education Programs Administrative Competitive Full Time jobs in Cranford