Lead of Office of Communications & Outreach
The Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP) at the University of Colorado Boulder encourages applications for a Lead for its Office of Communications and Outreach (OCO). The OCO is responsible for internal communications within LASP, external communications of LASP’s endeavors, outreach, and public education.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
LASP is a research institute within the University of Colorado Boulder. Science drives what we do. With a focus on solar, stellar, and space physics, and atmospheric and planetary sciences, LASP employs both experimental and theoretical approaches to answer key science questions. Since its inception in 1948, LASP has developed, operated, and analyzed the data from scientific instrumentation for planetary, deep-space, and Earth-orbiting spacecraft missions investigating all eight planets, Pluto and beyond. To achieve our scientific and technical goals, we rely on effective communication and alignment between management, scientists, engineers, mission operations, and data analysts. Through our research projects, LASP participates actively in the training of the future leaders of space research and helps the University of Colorado Boulder educate students with valued technical and scientific skills. The progressive development and use of innovative technologies and continuing participation in new research initiatives will help ensure a strong leadership role for LASP into the future.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Management, planning, and execution of the OCO and its activities:
- Oversight of communication from senior management.
- Facilitation of lateral communication between divisions.
- Verbal and written communication of key accomplishments externally through the web, social media, and press releases.
- Coordination of in-person events such as public talks, tours, lobby displays.
- Sustaining communication relationships with CU Boulder, NASA, NOAA, and other groups to use existing resources.
- Supporting LASP staff’s Educational and Public Outreach (EPO) projects and volunteer outreach efforts.
What You Should Know
Occasional travel and out-of-nominal hours work are required (especially in support of spacecraft launch and mission activities, public talks, and other public events).
What We Can Offer
LASP is at the cutting edge of space research which serves as an inspirational place to work. The OCO lead will be at the forefront of conveying the exciting results of LASP’s science and technology to the rest of the world and will help facilitate the outstanding teamwork within the lab that it takes to make its many accomplishments possible.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Dynamic. Be Visionary. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree in Science Communications.
- 5 years of experience, or equivalent practical experience or related education.
What You Will Need
- Outstanding propensity with communication at various levels with scientists, engineers, and the general public.
- A background in science.
- Ready to seek a management/supervisory role.
- Relationship-builder, strong collaboration skills, leadership, and team-building skills.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Grant proposal writing experience.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and Acrobat), Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), and WordPress or Workexpress.
- Video Editing (Final Cut or Adobe Premiere Pro) mastery and social media expertise.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
Review of applications will begin October 15, 2020 and continue until the position is filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Other Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Public Relations & Advertising Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder