Veterans Services Specialist
Veterans Services Specialist
9700 Wade Blvd,, Frisco Campus
Frisco, Texas, 75035
We are searching for an experienced Veterans Services Specialist
Serve as the first line of contact to assist students with filling out the application for veterans educational benefits, help them understand the process of obtaining and maintaining benefits, and troubleshooting issues. Also assist veteran students with our resources such as financial aid and exemptions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists students, staff, faculty and the general public with correct information and direction regarding veterans educational benefits in person, via email and over the telephone in a friendly and professional manner.
- Assists students using veterans educational benefits in filling out the application for benefits, the application for financial aid, the Admissions application, etc.
- Assists with the set-up of certain veteran activities such as resource fairs, career fairs, the military ball, etc.
- May provide assistance to Veterans Certifying Officials during peak awarding times to include prepping files for certifying, data entry of the “Bio” screen in VAOnce and closing out a file.
- May work the Financial Aid and Veterans Services front desk which includes answering questions for students using veterans education benefits, students using financial aid and/or State of Texas exemptions.
- Work in a fast-paced environment with constant interruptions and noise.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Perform all duties and maintain all standards in accordance with college policies, procedures and Core Values.
Associate degree from a regionally accredited institution and two (2) years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of state and federal veterans educational benefits rules and regulations as well as Collin policies and procedures
- Knowledge of Banner, Global and VAOnce screens to ascertain required documents and/or troubleshoot issues
- Knowledge of all associated websites where applications and/or required processes are located (applying for veterans educational benefits, FAFSA, etc)
- Knowledge of all elements on all applications and forms students must submit
- Knowledge of other departments' responsibilities/services that can effect a veteran student such as residency, dropping classes, etc.
- Attention to detail
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Customer Service skills
- Organizational skills
- Ability to communicate potential issues to staff and leadership
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to use a variety of office equipment
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Sedentary Work - Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, a negligible amount of force frequently, and/or constantly having to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met. Positions in this class typically include talking, hearing, seeing, grasping, standing, walking and repetitive motions, plus stooping, kneeling, crouching, and reaching. Relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Office environment. Little physical effort required.
***This is a Security Sensitive position. Therefore candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.***
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. The employer actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.
Employment Type: Full-time Staff
Compensation Type: Annual
Compensation Range: $36,368.00 - 41,823.00
For any employment questions, please contact HR at (972) 985-3783 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Collin College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in McKinney
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in McKinney
- Community Relations & Institutional Outreach Not specified Full Time jobs in McKinney
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in McKinney
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in McKinney