Job ID: 220786
Location: Statesboro, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Perform technical grounds work and provide on-site coordination and quality control. Lead a small group of grounds employees in work primarily related to woody plants, herbaceous plants, and ornamental pest management. Prepare turf and fields along with irrigation and turf pest control. Manage transit area maintenance, debris and trash control, and hardscape work. Assist in training employees in proper Grounds procedures in the use and maintenance of tools, equipment, and vehicles for technical work and the technical aspects of installation, application, maintenance, and removal of plants and materials.
- Perform related duties as assigned to support the mission of the University
- Prepare annual performance appraisals of direct reports
- Inspect/sign off on all work/project request for assigned area
- Prepare documentation to provide written support and/or convey information relating to personnel matters and facility needs
- Prepare daily shift reports to convey material needs, work order request, project work, and other information relevant to daily operations
- Supervise and work with grounds crews
- Establish maintenance schedules
- Maintain daily logs of work assignments, progress, and amount of time used to complete tasks
- Train crew members on proper cultural requirements for growing grass and other routine landscaping tasks
- Select, utilize, and evaluate procedures, materials, tools, and equipment appropriate for the task
- Work on-site, performing all levels of grounds work either alone, as leader of a team, or as a leader of several teams simultaneously
- Provide continuity of grounds services during personnel absences and under emergency conditions by performing the task to cover areas
- Participate in interviews, new hire orientation and training of employees
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Two (2) years of related work experience
- Supervisory experience
$30,900 - $31,476
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Consistently exhibit engaging customer service
- Proven proficiency with computers including Microsoft Office, Google, and/or applications as required for specific position
- Navigate web access and email with or without reasonable accommodation
- Ability to understand work orders, complete forms, operate hand-held landscaping tools, calculate quantity of plants, materials, etc., needed for projects, operate a service vehicle, provide direction
- Adhere to institutional policy and procedures to meet institutional goals in support of the University mission for student success
- Demonstrate commitment to inclusiveness by working well with diverse populations
- Use effective communication and human relations skills
- Demonstrate appropriate organizational skills as required for specific position
- Effective communication (verbal and written); organizational (including problem solving and leadership); and human relations skills
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service centered work ethic
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
Apply Before Date
October 17, 2020
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000 students in associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral level degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town, the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018 Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America's Best Midsize Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars, leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the world.
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912) 478-6947 or by email at email@example.com.
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditions of Employment
- Georgia Southern University is a Tobacco and Smoke-Free Community.
- Successful completion of background investigation and legal authorization to work in the US prior to employment
- Proof of valid driver's license upon hire and throughout employment
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Southern University, as determined by Georgia Southern University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southern University provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicant for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of reasonable accommodations under the America with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources: (912) 478-6947.
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Use landscaping equipment daily
- Stoop, bend, reach, stand, walk throughout day
- May be required to maneuver items weighing up to 50 pounds with or without reasonable accommodation
- Work in varying weather conditions
- Ability to drive University vehicles
9950301 - Grounds Operations
Believing that diversity, equity, and inclusion contribute to excellence in the workplace and to the quality of the University's academic environment, Georgia Southern University is committed to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff to support, promote, and serve a diverse student body and promote Inclusive Excellence. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, whose work furthers the institution's Inclusive Excellence goals, and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=39000&JobOpeningId=220786&PostingSeq=1