STUDENT DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST
STUDENT DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST
Posting Number: SRGV4652
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Brownsville, Texas
Department: College Access & K-12 Partners
Scope of Job:
To assist and work closely with University students who are participants of the TRIO student support services program to increase retention and graduation rates.
Description of Duties:
• Assists with the coordination of TRIO student recruitment, programming, and retention initiatives.
• Performs day-to-day administrative support work-flows and assists with the coordination of peer coach assistants/peer mentors including scheduling and training.
• Maintains academic progress tracking, performs data collection, and provides project reports as needed.
• Responsible for meeting with students for problem-solving, counseling, providing information regarding student policies, course selection and registration assistance, financial aid and financial literacy, guiding students on policies and procedures; demonstrating use of the university website and graduate school preparation.
• Recommends and organize new programs and advise staff superior on progress of current program.
• Assists with organizing informational workshops, cultural enrichment activities, college/university visitations, financial aid and financial literacy activities, and course selection and registration assistance.
• Monitors student academic progress, tracks student contacts, and ensures that students are receiving the necessary services.
• Assists with promoting awareness of the TRIO programs and to increase participants’ retention, graduation, and transfer rates.
• Serves as a liaison among students, faculty, administration, staff, and the community.
• Maintains collaborative working relationships with internal employees/partners in assessing program issues and services. Actively participates on college committees, meetings and workgroups.
• May participate in the screening and interview/selection processes and the training of new student employees (peer coaches & mentors).
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Receives general supervision from the assigned supervisor.
May supervise other assigned staff.
Bachelor’s degree in higher education, student personnel, counseling, or related discipline.
Master’s degree in student development or higher education.
Two (2) years of experience in working with first generation, low income, and students with disabilities, and counseling or advising college students from diverse backgrounds. Planning, developing, and implementing educational programs that contribute to retention, persistence, and graduation rates.
Experience in working with TRIO program students. Experience and skills in marketing & communication using social media and other platforms. Bilingual oral and written skills with fluency in English and Spanish that meets community needs. Experience conducting presentations. Experience teaching in a college setting. Mental Health First Aid Certified. Excellent written & verbal skill.
Use of office equipment will be required such as fax and copier.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties.
General office conditions with the majority of time spent in contact with students.
Physical Capabilities: Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may require maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting for prolonged periods of time; general manual dexterity.
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 09/17/2020
Grant Funded Position: Yes
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date: 08/31/2025
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956) 665-2451 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/25806