Postdoctoral Research Associate
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi
Harte Research Institute For Gulf Of Mexico Studies
Proposed Minimum Salary
Corpus Christi, Texas
A postdoctoral research associate position is available at the Harte Research Institute (HRI) for Gulf of Mexico Studies (https://www.harteresearchinstitute.org/). We are interested in researchers with a broad interest in coastal ecosystem health assessments and in working with relevant stakeholders to ensure that these assessments inform and support management efforts. In collaboration with researchers at the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science, HRI developed a framework for assessing coastal ecosystem health by coupling stakeholder engagement with rigorous analysis of long-term datasets to identify and quantify trends in key indicators. The first Texas Coast Ecosystem Health Report Card (https://www.harteresearchinstitute.org/project/texas-coast-ecosystem-health-report-card), released in 2019, took these findings and made them widely accessible to policymakers and the public. Updates to the Texas Coast Report Card will include expanding its scope to include social and economic indicators, identifying additional ecosystem health indicators, and supporting regional stakeholders to develop complementary bay-specific report cards. The primary obligations for the postdoctoral researcher will be to: 1) compile and synthesize available datasets for indicators of ecosystem and socio-economic health along the Texas coast and the broader Gulf of Mexico, 2) communicate broadly with stakeholders, scientists, and resource managers at the local, regional, state level and federal level, and 3) assume a leadership role in the development and production of ecosystem/economic health Report Cards. Opportunities also exist for participation in ongoing field-based studies in Texas estuaries with one or more HRI researchers.
- Compile and synthesize available datasets for indicators of
ecosystem, social, and economic health along the Texas
- Communicate broadly with stakeholders, scientists, and resource
managers at the local, regional, and state level.
- Conduct regional stakeholder engagement and training workshops
for ecosystem and socio-economic health assessments.
- Assume a leadership role in the development and production of
bay-specific Report Cards and an updated Texas Coast Report
- Collaborate with other members of one or more lab groups at
HRI, and mentor undergraduate/early career graduate students in the
- Develop and seek funding for new avenues of research related to
the goals of the Harte Research Institute and the Texas Coast
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed journals.
- Present research results at public meetings and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Doctoral degree in Marine Science or related field by date of
- Experience monitoring ecosystem health of marine, estuarine
and/or freshwater systems.
- Experience with statistical tools for analysis of long-term
ecological data, including time-series.
- Experience with project management and ability to meet project
goals in a timely manner.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including
experience communicating scientific findings to a broad
- Two (2) or more years of experience monitoring ecosystem health
of marine, estuarine and/or freshwater systems.
- Experience with development, implementation and interpretation
of biotic and abiotic indicators for determining ecosystem
- Experience working with social-environmental systems, and
- Interest in integrating social, cultural, and economic
perspectives into ecosystem health assessments.
- Desire to work with a broad spectrum of collaborators,
managers, and stakeholders.
- This position is grant-funded. Continued employment is
contingent upon continued funding.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution's verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution's procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
To apply, visit https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/TAMUCC_External/job/Corpus-Christi-TAMUCC/Postdoctoral-Research-Associate_R-032578