Tenured Associate Professor, Social Work and Global Health Equity
As one of the nation’s top schools of social work, Boston University School of Social Work (BUSSW) is dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in education, research, and evidence-based practice to advance social, racial and economic justice and solve the most pressing societal problems of the 21st century. The BUSSW currently invites applications from academics and researchers with a strong commitment to research, scholarship and teaching in the field of global health with a focus on addressing the structural and social determinants of health to promote health equity in the U.S. and globally, to join our faculty in the 2021-22 academic year.
Applicants’ research and scholarship may focus on the role of social work in such areas as:
- strengthening public health systems globally to stabilize and build the health capacity of communities around the world that are heavily impacted by disease and vulnerable to other adverse health outcomes.
- addressing the negative effects of phenomena such as political/economic upheaval, violence/war, and climate change/natural disasters on health and wellbeing, particularly for marginalized groups and those faced with forced dislocation and migration.
- creating collaborations with stakeholders from social work, health, and other sectors (private and governmental) to develop strategies that build on existing community resources to develop customized, culturally appropriate physical and behavioral health care interventions, programs and policies, that are locally sustainable.
The candidate will also lead the design and implementation of study abroad and exchange educational, research, and training initiatives for faculty, PhD, MSW, and dual degree students such as those in the dual degree MSW/MPH programs, in collaboration with other universities, and community-based and globally oriented organizations.
The School believes that diversity in the race, gender, sexual orientation, and other backgrounds of our faculty, staff, and students is vitally important to the distinction of our academic and research programs. We are especially eager to have join our ranks a colleague who supports our institutional commitment to social justice and to ensuring that BU is inclusive, equitable, and a place where all constituents can thrive.
The successful candidate will have:
- a doctoral degree in social work or an MSW and a doctoral degree in an allied health profession,
- established scholarship, research and practice in global health,
- experience in global health project implementation, strong record of publication and externally-funded research (i.e., USAID, UNESCO, WHO, NIH) in global health.
BUSSW seeks an individual who has the leadership skills for interdisciplinary, collaborative research and practice and will actively pursue opportunities across Boston University’s schools and colleges, local and national organizations as well as global organizations such as USAID, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), World Health Organization, (WHO), United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), among others.
The candidate will join a dynamic school with an extensive research portfolio with extensive funding from NIH, SAMHSA, HRSA, and private foundations, among others, as well as supportive alumni. The candidate will have the opportunity to work closely with researchers in the Center for Innovation in Social Work and Health (CISWH), an endowed research center, and the Center for Aging & Disability Education & Research (CADER).
The School of Social Work is located in the heart of BU’s Charles River Campus and is currently ranked #10 among graduate schools of social work by U.S. News & World Report. With nearly 1000 MSW and PhD students from across the U.S. and abroad, 34 full-time faculty and approximately 60 lecturers participating in the main campus, off-campus, and online programs, the BU School of Social Work is a vibrant and diverse community.
The School is distinguished by its vision to advance a just society that promotes the health and empowerment of all marginalized groups, and by its mission to develop dynamic and diverse social work practitioners, leaders, and scholars in a multicultural environment. (For additional information on the Boston University School of Social Work please visit our website (www.bu.edu/ssw).
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled. Please submit a letter of application and current CV. In your letter of application, please outline your research, scholarship and teaching skills and experience. In the letter, we welcome a description of how, as a teacher, researcher, scholar, and/or practitioner, you engage and sustain a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and to working with communities.
Search Committee/Dean’s Office
Boston University School of Social Work
264 Bay State Road
Boston, MA 02215
Boston University is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Boston
- Health & Medicine Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Boston
- Other Health & Medicine Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Boston
- Professional Fields Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Boston
- Social Work & Human Services Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Boston