Associate General Counsel
Reporting directly to the General Counsel, the position requires an individual with a demonstrated ability to work directly and independently with clients, providing timely advice and counsel on a wide range of complex and novel topics that are frequently issues of first impression. The successful candidate must be a person of unimpeachable integrity who possesses not only the ability to work in a fast-paced legal environment but also has an abundance of good humor.
The Associate General Counsel is expected to work
collaboratively with all members of the University community –
faculty, staff, students and senior leadership -- in a respectful,
efficient and proactive manner. The Associate General Counsel must
be able to articulate the University’s position on a variety of
matters to different interest groups in an effective, clear and
positive manner. This position will work closely with the Office of
Equity and Equal Opportunity, Human Resources and Academic
Personnel Services on civil rights and employment matters; Student
Life including Title IX matters, and Academic Affairs.
Information about the Office of General Counsel may be found at http://www.units.muohio.edu/generalcounsel/.
• A Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA-accredited law
• Seven or more years of progressive responsibility and experience practicing law in a firm, in-house, or University/College setting providing advice directly to clients.
• Ability to work carefully, collaboratively, creatively, ethically and independently with a strong client- service perspective.
• Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
• Strong legal research abilities, advocacy and problem solving skills, particularly in a highly regulated and frequently changing legal environment.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills- ability to design and provide workshops, seminars and training sessions regarding legal issues in higher education.
• Licensed to practice law, admitted and in good standing with the Ohio Supreme Court.