Senior Instructor of Economic Development
The Masters of the Environment professional graduate program (MENV) at the University of Colorado-Boulder invites applications for a Senior Instructor of Economic Development in its new Outdoor Recreation Economy (ORE) specialization.
MENV is an interdisciplinary professional master’s degree that equips students with the knowledge, skills and experience necessary to address complex environmental challenges. MENV prepares students to become leaders in a wide range of careers in the environment, energy, natural resources and sustainability sectors. ORE creates impact for the broader outdoor industry through applied research and project delivery for organizational partners, the development of strong and productive external partnerships, and the cultivation of innovators and inclusive leaders. We are committed to supporting the entire outdoor recreation economy through innovative approaches to economic development, the management of resilient public lands and waterways, the creation of inclusive spaces, and the promotion of sustainable business practices.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated knowledge of, and experience with, local and regional economic development, including development that can leverage state, regional, and national assets for recreation economy development. The candidate will provide leadership in the development and delivery of teaching for graduate students, professional training, technical assistance, and applied research activities that build the capacity of communities, economic development practitioners, and relevant business and industry sectors. The candidate will have a demonstrated knowledge of economic and business development strategies, emerging economic sectors, sustainable tourism and recreation development, public-private partnerships, entrepreneurial communities, and/or other related areas. We are also especially interested in candidates who are visionary, innovative, and have academic or professional experience related to social change, diversity and inclusiveness.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
Masters of the Environment program: The Masters of the Environment (MENV) Graduate Program in the University of Colorado Boulder’ Environmental Studies Program is an interdisciplinary professional master’s degree that equips students with the knowledge, skills and experience necessary to address complex environmental challenges. ORE sits within the MENV program. Through our comprehensive approach to professional education, MENV students receive a graduate degree from one of the world’s top universities in environmental and natural sciences, while simultaneously gaining valuable professional experience with an external client organization. The Masters of the Environment Graduate Program values diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. More information here: Masters of the Environment.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
This position is comprised of a nine-month academic-year Senior Instructor appointment and includes a summer appointment. We seek a candidate to help develop curriculum and teach in the ORE, make substantive research and/or creative contributions that relate to professional work, as well as participate in innovative and impactful professional activities. The position includes teaching, advising, administrative duties, and research/professional work. The position includes a mix of the following responsibilities:
- Teaching. The candidate will teach both in-person, as well as online professional graduate courses and continuing education courses.
- Serving as a MENV Capstone Advisor. The faculty member will advise MENV students in capstone projects.
- Dependent on the candidate background, this position may also include engaging in research or creative work related to professional practice. This involves a) demonstrating a deep understanding of professional practices in the outdoor recreation economy b) developing, facilitating relationships with, and serving as a resource to external organizations and communities; c) demonstrating impact and innovation within the professional practice; and d) engaging in research and thought leadership in the outdoor recreation economy.
- There is also the potential that this position will serve as the faculty lead for ORE specialization. This will include overseeing the curriculum and ORE faculty and advising students.
What We Can Offer
Starting salary is $90,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Courageous. Be Inspired. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- A PhD, EdD, DBA, or other advanced degree in a fields such as regional economics, community-economic development, workforce development, or related disciplines. Master’s degree may be acceptable, depending on experience.
- At least 5 years of significant relevant experience through innovative professional practice directly related to economic development.
What You Will Need
- Ability to contribute toward program efforts to address dimensions of underserved communities, justice and equity, and race, gender, and/or class influence as it relates to the outdoor industry.
- Personal qualities should include a spirit of collaboration, a passion for learning and the requisite humility that is required when working in an emergent field with creative, professional students. Strong interpersonal skills and self-directedness are a must for this team-based program with a startup mindset.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Three (3) or more years of experience of teaching, developing curriculum for professional or higher education learning, extension, and/or facilitation and technical assistance and/or eight (8) years or more professional experience directly related to economic development, evidence of engaging diverse community and creating strong partnerships, and experience in creating innovative learning experiences.
- Evidence of engaging diverse communities and creating strong partnerships.
- Experience in creating innovative learning experiences.
- Demonstrated experience of teaching, developing curriculum for professional or higher education learning, extension, and/or facilitation and technical assistance.
- A passion for student mentoring.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter, which includes a thorough description of teaching
and professional experience in the outdoor recreation economy.
- The cover letter should also include a description of how the candidate will support and encourage a diverse and inclusive learning environment that includes mentorship, classroom, professional, and experiential and project-based learning.
- Current Curriculum Vitae
During the application process, you will need to enter contact information for three references and we will request letters of recommendation and additional materials if needed, as the search progresses.
Review of applications will begin on November 1, 2020; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Ben Webster
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Instructional Technology & Design Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder