Director of Athletics
Job Title Director of Athletics Posting Number S816P Classification Title
This position will be responsible for all aspects of the CBU comprehensive NCAA athletics program by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Other duties may be assigned.
1. Provides vision, depth and direction for the Athletic Department of California Baptist University.
2. Evaluates the athletic performance of each team, as well as the entire athletic program.
3. Meets with coaches and staff on a regular basis, individually and collectively.
4. Develops and maintains the Athletic Department budget.
5. Evaluates coaches and staff in the performance of their duties.
6. Responsible for writing, updating, assimilating, and distributing the student-athlete handbook for coaches and administrators.
7. Develop an athletic fundraising plan and lead in its implementation. Chair of Lancer Athletics Association Board.
8. Responsible for reviewing all eligibility data for student-athletes to certify their eligibility for participation in intercollegiate athletics.
9. Attends all NCAA national meetings and WAC Conference meetings that call for administrative decisions, as the representative for California Baptist University.
10. Responsible for approving all official contest agreement contracts to all institutions that will be competing with California Baptist University.
11. Serves as athletic representative on the Athletic Advisory Committee.
12. Serves as athletic representative on the Admissions and Retention Committee.
13. Makes periodic inspections of the grounds, buildings and facilities to ensure that they are safe and conducive to effective education and athletic performance.
14. Notifies maintenance of any problems in regard to grounds, building and facility.
15. Approves all letters or publications that involve fundraisers, alumni, boosters, special events or any other general mailing to the public.
16. Responsible for the administration of all home athletic contests (including, but not limited to; game management, ticketing, game supervision, game preparation, etc.).
17. A strong belief that excellent academic preparation and athletic accomplishment can co-exist and flourish within an educational environment that is committed to increasing gender, ethnic and racial diversity.
18. Responsible for other duties that may be assigned by the President of California Baptist University, or Vice President for Enrollment and Student Services.
19. Adhere to all institutional, conference and NCAA by-laws and regulations.
20. Ensure the physical, emotional and social welfare of student-athletes.
21. Establish a safe environment for student-athletes.
22. Serve as department liaison to Athletics.
23. Complete tasks associated with shared responsibility for NCAA compliance.
24. Update Compliance Assistant (CA) as needed to ensure compliance and produce squad lists/eligibility check lists in a timely manner.
25. Work closely with the Office of Compliance to ensure effective communication.
26. Report any possible violations to the Compliance Office and assist with investigations and self-reporting to the NCAA .
Directly supervises employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Other Knowledge Skills and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Ability to support the mission, goals and priorities of CBU, as a comprehensive regional, Christian-based university with an educational philosophy that supports both liberal arts and sciences, and professional studies.
Ability to travel, including domestic/international air travel, and work nights/weekends
Superior organizational and leadership abilities, and excellent communication skills, energy and enthusiasm and significant experience in attracting and hiring coaches and staff.
Knowledge of the broad issues of intercollegiate athletics at the NCAA level, including compliance, gender equity, evaluation of coaches and facilities planning.
Ability to be an effective colleague within the university, and the proven ability to build strong relationships among coaches, with the faculty, and with administrative offices, especially Admissions, Development, and Student Life.
Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
A thorough knowledge of: Business English and arithmetic; general office methods, procedures and practices.
Ability to plan, develop, and coordinate multiple projects.
Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position.
Ability to use independent judgment, and to manage and impart information.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Ability to supervise and train staff, including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
Strong organizational skills and detail oriented.
Knowledge of standard budgeting, and expenditure control procedures and documentation.
Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
Education and/or Experience
Master’s degree (M. A.) or equivalent; and five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Management with previous collegiate athletic administration and/or coaching experience preferred.
Open Date 05/21/2020 Remove from Web Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants Nondiscrimination Statement
State and Federal law permit California Baptist University to discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its purpose. The University does not discriminate contrary to either State or Federal law.
Title IX Coordinator
Title IX Coordinator
Lancer Plaza – Student Care Office, Room 105
Email: email@example.com or TitleIXCoordinator@calbaptist.edu
Quick Link to Posting http://jobs.calbaptist.edu/postings/5528 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you a Christian?
- * Do you attend church regularly?
- If no, please explain (required):
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you both familiar with and not in conflict with the
fundamental doctrines and practices of the California Southern
Baptist Convention as stated in the Baptist Faith and Message dated
June 14, 2000? (Please see above link for more information)
- Yes (I am familiar and not in conflict)
- No (I am in conflict or not familiar)
Required Documents Optional Documents
- Cover Letter
- Other Document
- Other Document 2
- Other Document 3
- Other Document 4